Electrical Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a switch at one end of my hall that turns on the light, I have a switch at the other end of the hall that turns the light off, or vice versa. Can I get power from that light switch to install a plug below it? Thank you for your help in advance. I am a new homeowner and need to keep my snake cage warm. Ted :?:

Sponsored Links
In a word NO

Lighting circuits are NOT power circuits. The wire used is too small to be used for power sockets.

You will need to arrange for a socket to be added to the power circuitry of your house. It can be a DIY task but does require the correct knowledge about electrical wiring to do it safely.

By sensibly asking the question about the light switch you show your knowledge is not yet sufficient to do the job yourself.

Bernard, Look at the OPs location, they do things a bit differently over there and do not have quite the same distinction between light and power circuits, I beleieve

Mods... please move this to electrics outside of the UK

The methods in the USA are different for sure but my limited experience is that they still separate power and lighting. But do seem add lighting outlets to power circuits often without fusing down to suite the cable used to the lamp and switch.

Sponsored Links
Hey Thanks for the info. I gather I will have to figure out another way I think I might just use an extension cord and try to conceal it.

Back