Electrical work prior to electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have to do some work before a builder, plasterer and electrician start.

1/ From the image, is it within the electrical regulations to have a power socket appr 1Ft from the water inlet for the washing machine?

2/ I presume the water inlet needs bonding. What size bonding cable is needed?

3/ What size bonding is needed for a 9.5Kw shower? (Inside shower quadrant)

Cheers, Camerart.

Attachments

• Distance.jpg
    Distance.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
1 it's fine
2 no it's not needed
3 if you have RCD protection <30mA on all circuits passing the bathroom then you don't need bonding. Otherwise it's min 4mm, possibly 6mm.

Last edited:
1 it's fine
2 no it's not needed
3 if you have RCD protection <30mA on all circuits passing the bathroom then you don't need bonding. Otherwise it's min 4mm, possibly 6mm.
Hi J,
1 Good
2 Good
3 There is a 30mA RCD upstairs also a similar main one.

Thanks, C.

3 so any circuits at all not RCD protected in the house? If so then fine.

Sponsored Links
OK no need for bonding in the bathroom then. Just make sure the main bonding is present where necessary eg incoming water and gas supply if metallic

OK no need for bonding in the bathroom then. Just make sure the main bonding is present where necessary eg incoming water and gas supply if metallic
As you are aware, there are a couple of other requirements for omission of supplementary bonding. Firstly, not only does main bonding have to be present (if necessary) but any extraneous-c-pc in the bathroom must be 'effectively connected' to that bonding (per test criteria specified in regs) and, secondly, that all final circuits in the bathroom satisfy the Ze requirements for ADS (which they always should do, anyway).

Those two additional requirements will nearly always be satisfied, but I suppose one should not pretend they don't exist. The problem with the first I mentioned is that it theoretically requires a measurement that a good few DIYers would probably not be able to undertake.

Kind Regards, John

As you are aware, there are a couple of other requirements for omission of supplementary bonding. Firstly, not only does main bonding have to be present (if necessary) but any extraneous-c-pc in the bathroom must be 'effectively connected' to that bonding (per test criteria specified in regs) and, secondly, that all final circuits in the bathroom satisfy the Ze requirements for ADS (which they always should do, anyway).

Those two additional requirements will nearly always be satisfied, but I suppose one should not pretend they don't exist. The problem with the first I mentioned is that it theoretically requires a measurement that a good few DIYers would probably not be able to undertake.

Kind Regards, John
Hi J,
On the old basin there is bonding, 3-4 mm outside plastic. I presume it goes to the bath as well. Does this need to go to the shower pipes?

I don't know what (shown in red) mean: "Firstly, not only does main bonding have to be present (if necessary) but any extraneous-c-pc in the bathroom must be 'effectively connected' to that bonding (per test criteria specified in regs) and, secondly, that all final circuits in the bathroom satisfy the Ze requirements for ADS (which they always should do, anyway)."

C.

Hi J, On the old basin there is bonding, 3-4 mm outside plastic. I presume it goes to the bath as well. Does this need to go to the shower pipes?
If the requirements for omission of supplementary bonding are
satisfied, then nothing needs bonding.
I don't know what (shown in red) mean: "Firstly, not only does main bonding have to be present (if necessary) but any extraneous-c-pc in the bathroom must be 'effectively connected' to that bonding (per test criteria specified in regs) and, secondly, that all final circuits in the bathroom satisfy the Ze requirements for ADS (which they always should do, anyway)."
In this context, an "extraneous-conductive-part" is essentially any metal pipe etc. which enters the bathroom from somewhere else. The second bit relates to the wiring etc. having a low enough impedance for the MCB (or fuse) protecting teh circuit to disconnect the electricity within the required time (e.g. 0.4 seconds) in the case of a fault. That can only be ascertained by an electrician with appropriate test equipment, but is a requirement regardless of any considerations of bonding, and will almost certainly be satisfied (unless something is wrong with your wiring).

Does that help?

Kind Regards, John

If the requirements for omission of supplementary bonding are
satisfied, then nothing needs bonding.
In this context, an "extraneous-conductive-part" is essentially any metal pipe etc. which enters the bathroom from somewhere else. The second bit relates to the wiring etc. having a low enough impedance for the MCB (or fuse) protecting teh circuit to disconnect the electricity within the required time (e.g. 0.4 seconds) in the case of a fault. That can only be ascertained by an electrician with appropriate test equipment, but is a requirement regardless of any considerations of bonding, and will almost certainly be satisfied (unless something is wrong with your wiring).

Does that help?

Kind Regards, John
Hi J,
Yes, that helps.
I had an electrician fit a new fusebox, plus sockets around the house, including the new shower switch, and he must have tested it.
Thanks, C.

Hi J,Yes, that helps.
You're welcome.
I had an electrician fit a new fusebox, plus sockets around the house, including the new shower switch, and he must have tested it.
Yes, if he replaced the 'fusebox', he should have tested all the circuits. In fact, he should have given you documentation which included all of the test results.

Kind Regards, John

You're welcome.
Yes, if he replaced the 'fusebox', he should have tested all the circuits. In fact, he should have given you documentation which included all of the test results.

Kind Regards, John
Hi J,
BS7671 0.4 Olay!
C

Hi J, BS7671 0.4 Olay!
It sounds as if that is the BS7671 requirement for the disconnection time, rather than a measurement on the actual circuit. Is there a column of numbers headed "Zs"? Could you perhaps post a scan or photo of the 'Schedule of test results" (with any identifying information obscured)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back