electricians fitted used MCB when rewiring my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, the story goes I had my house re-wired and a new consumer unit fitted (replacing an old fuse wire setup) by what I thought were a reputable firm, one of the MCBs failed after about 9 months, due to a number of factors I've only just got round to worrying about it (18+ months later), the original firm seem content on ignoring my phone calls, so I had a new MCB fitted this weekend, and this is where the query arises.

I noticed the dud MCB was clearly a different model to the others in my consumer unit, when I picked up and identical model from screwfix (same code etc), I thought the dud was a bit odd, because the new one was identical to all the others, so clearly the MCB wasn't of the same era. Nevertheless I just assumed that wasn't anything to worry about. The MCB was a standard MK one, I assume they've not changed the range for a long time, so the dud could be many years old.

Anyway, this weekend I had the MCB replaced, on removing the dud, I notice this had clearly been used somwhere before installing in my consumer unit, it was dirty and covered in scratches and appears to have been bashed with a screwdriver in the side at some time in its life.

My question is, who do I complain to, if I think I've had an old item sold to me as new? Also, should I be taking the electricians the small claims court to recover the cost of fitting the new one, since they seemed content to ignore the phone calls? Finally is there a site for rating electricians, so that I can warn others of these cowboys?

cheers

mike

Sponsored Links
You could try your local trading standards, they will be interested in this. If you've paid for a new CU and mcbs then thats what they should have installed.

I understand that it is a point of principle, but do you really want to waste your time over a £10 mcb.

It may have been New, but just left kicking around in a tool box or in the back of a van prior to being fitted.

In that case he possibly should have told you prior to fitting.

Sponsored Links
if it's a different model it must be really old. When did MK introduce their slightly revised "s" Sentry range? ten years ago?

£10 for an MCB - much cheaper round here - even MK - even with my mark-up.

MK sentry breakers have changed design THREE times in the last five or so years.

I've fitted plenty of "a bit grubby from the van shelves, but still brand new" MCBs

Surely you have more important things you could be using your time for?

it's easily done even if it's a small company..
they'll have storage area somewhere ( back of a garage, garden shed, small unit ) and any overspill from the bigger jobs gets stuck on a shelf and forgot about until someone needs one in a hurry..

they get a standard CU from the wholesalers, but realise they need 3 16A's instead of the 2 that come with it.. it's late or the weekend and the wholesaler is shut.. they go digging in the shed / garage / unit, and find a 16A left over from another job.. great..

I've got several boxes of odd breakers in my shed..

I've got some Crabtree C50s in the loft.

Bound to come in handy one day...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back