Electricians Forum

Should the Electricans have a similar forum to the "Combustion Chamber"?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 44 77.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you want to know how to change a washer in a tap, would you really feel left out or not priveliged enough to be on the RGI forum?

Im sorry but why are you confusing plumbers with gas engineers?

Sponsored Links
Same difference

images

I doubt an offshoot board would get much use, but I'm not saying it could not be of some use, so I'm giving a cautious nod to a trial run.

While we're at it, how about a dedicated forum for people who can't figure out 2-way light switching and loop-in-fitting lighting circuits? :)

Sponsored Links
I doubt an offshoot board would get much use, but I'm not saying it could not be of some use, so I'm giving a cautious nod to a trial run.

While we're at it, how about a dedicated forum for people who can't figure out 2-way light switching and loop-in-fitting lighting circuits? :)

thought they were diyers? :rolleyes:

thought they were diyers? :rolleyes:

Hence my thinking, unless I'm feeling really helpfull I generally skim over such posts as I find the more complex issues are of more interest (you never stop learning in this trade!) a properly implemented version of the combustion chamber for sparks may well provide this and also remove some of the taboo's assosiated with the public forum such as the old 'hotgloves' work.

Another workable idea could be to split the forum into 'Professional Electrics' and 'DIY Electrics' or is all of this starting to shift focus away from the diynot.com ethos?

more or less my point Sir,
as a diyer really cant do much more now than spur or replace like for like then what is the point in a forum?
saying that, as for gas regulation was stepped up after an explosion at a block of flats in london.

gas has many areas where it can result in death, electric has two usually.
electrocution or fire.

and when did you guys last outlaw multimeters as being non approved by the ECA?

educate the plumbers please ive tried but they dont listen :cry:

If you want to know how to change a washer in a tap, would you really feel left out or not priveliged enough to be on the RGI forum?

Im sorry but why are you confusing plumbers with gas engineers?

At the moment all the gas and central heating is on the same forum is it not? So would a DIYer who wants to know how to replace a washer on a tap feel left out by not having access to the RGI forum?
Same for an electricians forum, would a DIYer feel left out etc if all they are wanting to know is how to replace a light switch?
gas has many areas where it can result in death, electric has two usually.
electrocution or fire.
Moving machinery and heat are a couple more.
and when did you guys last outlaw multimeters as being non approved by the ECA?
As far as multimeters are concerned, we are not permitted by the company I work for to use them for certain tasks i.e. testing for voltage (isolations). This has got nothing to do with the ECA, it is one of our approved working practices.

As far as multimeters are concerned, we are not permitted by the company I work for to use them for certain tasks i.e. testing for voltage (isolations). This has got nothing to do with the ECA, it is one of our approved working practices.

I would refer you to the "Electrotechnical Certification Scheme.
health and safety assessment"

Im sure you will have a copy to hand?

page 83 Q 10.30 ;)

as for the rest your still confusing gas engineers with plumbers :)

You mean the Jib thingy? It is downloadable from the Jib website.
Yep, so you shouldn't use a Fluke T5-600 to prove isolations.

The gas, water and whatever else to do with plumbing is in the same forum, the RGI forum is, as far as I am concerned, more closely linked to that forum than any other.
So, will someone posting a question in that forum about a simple task be upset about not being in the RGI forum?

firstly Im certainly not looking for any kind of conflict.

Im having a little difficulty seeing you point :confused:

a diyer would not be posting a question in the combustion chamber.
If the person were a qualified gas operative then they would have access to the combustion chamber.
a diyer isnt qualified to undertake work as its determined within the The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

so by default questions related to gas work shouldnt be answered.[/u]

The original response was to Richard C's post, where he was referring to privelidged/secret forums. The RGI forum is associated with the plumbing and central heating forum. Would someone posting a simple DIY question on the plumbing and central heating forum be that bothered about the "Combustion Chamber"? Likewise, would someone who is posting a simple DIY question be bothered about a behind the scenes electricians forum?

a diyer isnt qualified to undertake work as its determined within the The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
I don't really intend to battle this one out as it isn't my area, however I was always led to believe you can do gas work for yourself as long as you are competent. I feel this question is one of those which will have been done to death on the Plumbing/Central heating forum!

quiet right and i support your point :D

with regards a diyer working on their own equipment, ok in theory.
in practice you can never say it wont affect a 3rd party and completely invalidate insurance and leave the diyer open to prosecution imprisonment and financial penalty.

I don't really intend to battle this one out as it isn't my area, however I was always led to believe you can do gas work for yourself as long as you are competent.
Spark123, you're quite right, and WhatDoIKnow is living up to his name again.

I feel this question is one of those which will have been done to death on the Plumbing/Central heating forum!
Also true. In spades.

Back on topic....

I don't see why a 'secret' forum would be of concern to most punters - they will probably not even know about it. However, splitting the focus of the 'expert' contributors between a forum that the public can see and another that they can't will, IMHO, detract from the public one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back