electricians guide to building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi does any on have a copy of the electricians guide to building regs ?
i'm sure it states that cooker switches should be no less than 50mm
away from the wall mounted splash back .
does any one know the page and regulation number ? :D
as i might be involved in a court case .......due to someone elses mistake .
many thanks ............ :confused:

Sponsored Links
You realise we are going to want more information now don't you :D

I would suggest if court costs are involved, the £17 for the book is the least of your trouble!

However, on Page 56, 5.2.2 (iv) states that 'accessories should be installed a minimum of 300mm from the edge of kitchen sinks and draining boards to reduce the risk of being splashed.'

Then the diagram on Page 57 shows 300 mm between the edge of the hob and the cooker switch, although all the text says on P56 (5.2.2 (ii)) is that 'Cooker control switches, extractor fan switches etc, should not be mounted so that it is necessary to lean or reach over gas or electric hobs for their operation'

They aren't 'regulation numbers' though - this is just a guide. I'm fairly certain BS7671 doesn't mention anything specifically either, just that it has to be 'fit for purpose'.

Others will no doubt add their views, but if you give us more information it may be easier to advise.

Gavin

Afaik it falls under regulation number 512-06-01 in the iee regs, "every item of equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation shall take into account of the conditions likely to be encountered, ........."

Go on, spill the beans :D

If it's someone else's mistake don't worry about it.

If, for example, you've countersigned an EIC to say that the "mistake" is OK, then maybe you need to!

Sponsored Links
hi to begin with the electrician did all the elecs .....job done

then the kitchen fitters fitted the kitchen but not according to the plan
from wickes .
the hob wich is 600mm wide in line with spash back ended up going right up right up against the cooker switch ..............
which i did not think was legal or safe ...
so instead of ripping the kitchen out ( for the sake of the missus )
i got in contact with the builder who was in charge of everything
and he sent an electrician out ......and now is going to charge me for it ..
so that is why i need to know ............due to the fact he is not
happy about it he has decided to charge me £210 pounds for
moving the cooker socket 8 inches to the right ... :eek:
thats the builder charging me not the electrician .....
hence the fact it's so expensive what do you think ?

You could resonably argue it is not to the BR's or to 16th, as Spark 123 points out.

You have a case to argue that it should not have been installed that way & you shall withold that money until it is corrected. If he wants to argue it, invite an INDEPENDENT inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back