Electricity consumption average for an electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again all,

I have been through your wiki and google in order to find the "average" or any "low consumption" electric cooker. (only electric, preferably fan assisted).

I understand the "energy" rating (A to G, A being the less power greedy).

I found a few links who are saying that the "main oven" is consuming 1KW and the "grill" is consuming 0.9KW.

When I look at the one we have (a very old trinity bendrix, or something like that) it shows underneath the grill:

10.1KW

Could it be possible to consume such amount? The ratio from other on the internet seems to be huge (from 1 to 10!!)

Then again I could not find energy information about the "top red stuff where we cook pans".

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
10.1kW is a perfectly realistic rating for an entire cooker, and if you turned everything on at once then it will use that much for a minute or two until things start to get to operating temperature and thermostats kick in.

The standard diversity guidelines allow you to design the circuit as if it were a 4.7kW appliance, although whether you should is a mildly contentious issue.

Then you get to these mythical energy consumption figures which assume you use the oven once a year to heat a shop-bought pie.....

each "ring" on a cooker is about 1.0 - 3.0KW depending on size and type so you'll have 2 small rings, 1 medium ring, and 1 large ring on most cookers.. so lets say 1.25+1.25+2.0+3.0 = 7.5KW for the hob section
then add the oven / hob at between 2.5 - 3.5KW and you end up arround 10.0 - 11.0KW mark..

Obviously it varies from maker to maker..

Via Google

Average Monthly kwh Consumption

Appliance kwh

Kitchen

Blender 2
Broiler 8
Coffee maker, percolator type 12
Coffee maker, drip type 12
Crock pot 3
Deep fryer 3
Dishwasher, using drying cycle 35
Dishwasher, no drying cycle 20
Freezer:
- upright manual defrost 155
- upright frost-free 210
- chest type, manual defrost 110
- chest type, frost-free 160
Fry pan 14
Microwave oven 20
Mixer 1
Range, manual clean oven 95
Range, self-clean oven 100
Refrigerator/freezer:
- 1-door manual defrost 54
- 2-door manual defrost 98
- 2-door frost free 150
- side-by-side frost-free 180
- energy-efficient, 2-door manual defrost 54
- energy-efficient, 2-door frost-free 84
Roaster 5
Toaster, 2-slice 3
Toaster, 4-slice 4
Toaster oven/broiler 18
Trash Compactor 4
Waffle Iron 2
Waste Disposal 3
Laundry & Cleaning

Clothes dryer (5 loads per week) 100
Clothes washer (5 loads per week) 7
Iron 5
Sewing machine 1
Vacuum cleaner 3
Water heating (4 persons) 374
Home Entertainment & Recreation

Radio (3 hours per day) 9
Radio/phonograph (2 hours per day) 8
Tape player (2 hours per day) 8
Television (4 hours per day):
- black and white/solid state 12" 4
- 14" 7
-19" 9
Television (4 hours per day) color, solid state:
- 14" to 16" 11
- 18" to 19" 13
- 23" to 25" 20
Comfort Conditioning: Appliance

Fans:
- Attic 24
- Furnace, 1/3 horsepower 30
- Window, 20" 18
Electric blanket 24
Humidifier 14
Waterbed, 400-watt heater 85
Comfort Conditioning: Home Heating & Cooling

Air conditioner:
- Window, 6,000 Btu/h 0.8
- Window, 10,000 Btu/h 1.3
- Window, 12,000 Btu/h 1.6
- Window, 14,000 Btu/h 1.9
- Window, 16,000 Btu/h 2.1
- Window, 18,000 Btu/h 2.4
- Window, 20,000 Btu/h 2.7
- Central, 1½ ton 2.3
- Central, 2 ton 3.0
- Central, 2½ ton 3.0
- Central, 3 ton 4.5
- Central, 4 ton 6.0
- Central, 5 ton
Heat pump (heating or cooling):
- 2-ton 3.2
- 3-ton 4.8
- 4-ton 6.4
- 5-ton 8.0
Electric Heating Central furnace:
- 10,250 watts 10.3
- 15,350 watts 15.3
- 20,490 watts 20.5
- 25,670 watts 25.7
Electric Heating, individual room, baseboard units:
- 500 watts 0.5
- 1,000 watts 1.0
- 1,500 watts 1.5
Portable space heaters:
- 1,000 watts 1.0
- 1,500 watts 1.5
Lighting

Indoor (consumption based on fixture being on 2 hours per day):
-1 60-watt bulb fixture 4
- 3 60-watt bulb fixture 11
- 1 100-watt bulb fixture 6
- 2 40-watt fluorescent bulb fixture 5
Outdoor (consumption based on fixture being on 8 hours per day):
- 60-watt pole light 14
- 160-watt flood lamp 36
Note: Your lighting consumption should be adjusted for the number of fixtures in your home.
Personal Care

Hair dryer (hand held, used 10 minutes per day):
- 250 watts 3
- 500 watts 6
- 1000 watts 13
Note: An electric shaver or toothbrush uses less than 1 kilowatt-hour per year.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, thank you for your messages!

Ok that is what I though...

Weird these adverts then:

Energy Consumption (kWh) for the Main Oven Heating Function Based on Standard Load 1.19
Energy Consumption (kWh) for the Second Oven Heating Function Based on Standard Load 0.99

Source:
http://direct.asda.com/Hotpoint-EW7...ite-Electric-Cooker/001522974,default,pd.html

Or many others:
OVEN TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION:

* Top oven energy consumption 0.70 kWh.

* Bottom oven energy consumption 0.90kWh.

* Size (H)90, (W)60, (D)60cm.

Source:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4892166/Trail/searchtext>BEKO.htm

Probably all giving "average" based on cooking that famous pie!
;)

ha crooks!!

Anyway I understand better now thanks!!

you have to remember that all the heating elements are on thermostats.

So they run at max load until they reach temperature, then switch off and on to maintain (about) the required temperature.

So the electricity supply has* to be sized to accommodate the max load, even though this will occur rarely, and for quite short periods.

*the time everything is switched on together tends to be when you are preparing Christmas dinner, and have both ovens on, and all the hotplates. If you switch them all on together from cold, the load will be at its highest until they reach temp.

It will also be at its highest if the fuse blows or MCB trips (due to the high load) and you restore the supply with the cooker turned on, but cooled down.

If you turn on the rings one at a time, and switch each extra one on after the previous one has got hot, you will have little risk of using max load.

Via Google

Average Monthly kwh Consumption

Appliance kwh

Microwave oven 20

There's an interesting paper that includes the marginal consumption of appliances. The marginal consumption of a microwave was found to be minus
41 kWh/year. The implication is that if you have a microwave, you use the main oven less, thus reducing overall consumption.

Consumption

:!:

you have to remember that all the heating elements are on thermostats.

So they run at max load until they reach temperature, then switch off and on to maintain (about) the required temperature.

Aha! So that explains why the consumption of a 100W lamp is 6kWh/month whereas the consumption of a 1kW space heater is only 1kWh/month.

:eek:

I think someone has a problem with his sums...

Electricalboom - you're comparing apples and oranges here! These kWh (kilo-watt hours) figures you're looking at - the 0.9's and 1.0's etc are a completely different thing to the kW (kilo-watts) ratings - the 10's etc.

kW ratings given for appliances are usually the maximum power the appliance demands. This figure is needed for designing the electrical supply, choosing cable size and fuse ratings etc, etc. As you've been advised 10kW is typical for a powerful electric cooker.

kWh are an amount of energy consumed, i.e. what you pay for. You may have heard the term a 'unit' of electricity. 1 unit = 1kWh. These kWh figures you're seeing for appliances are some sort of measure of how much electricity it consumes for some given task - as BAS says, probably lightly warming a small pie for such a low figure. You'll get these kWh figures for all kinds of appliances - for a washing machine it'll be the kWh consumed for a 'standard' wash cycle, for a fridge some kind of vague average under certain conditions, etc etc. These figures are largely unstandardised, often misleading and irrelevant for designing electrical installations. Annoyingly though, they're much easier to obtain than the proper kW figures! :rolleyes:

Liam

Electricalboom - you're comparing apples and oranges here! These kWh (kilo-watt hours) figures you're looking at - the 0.9's and 1.0's etc are a completely different thing to the kW (kilo-watts) ratings - the 10's etc.

kW ratings given for appliances are usually the maximum power the appliance demands. This figure is needed for designing the electrical supply, choosing cable size and fuse ratings etc, etc. As you've been advised 10kW is typical for a powerful electric cooker.

kWh are an amount of energy consumed, i.e. what you pay for. You may have heard the term a 'unit' of electricity. 1 unit = 1kWh. These kWh figures you're seeing for appliances are some sort of measure of how much electricity it consumes for some given task - as BAS says, probably lightly warming a small pie for such a low figure. You'll get these kWh figures for all kinds of appliances - for a washing machine it'll be the kWh consumed for a 'standard' wash cycle, for a fridge some kind of vague average under certain conditions, etc etc. These figures are largely unstandardised, often misleading and irrelevant for designing electrical installations. Annoyingly though, they're much easier to obtain than the proper kW figures! :rolleyes:
Liam

Hi! Cheerios!
I understood the following, which has been explained in wikipedia:

If a heater is rated at 1000 watts (1 kilowatt) and that heater is on for one hour then one kilowatt hour is used (equivalent to 3600 kilojoules).

Using a 60 watt light bulb for one hour consumes 0.06 kilowatt hours of electricity. Using a 60 watt light bulb for one thousand hours consumes 60 kilowatt hours of electricity.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt-hour

Also I understood that 1KWH = 1 unit...

I knew it's an average indication because as it has been explained before a device does not consume the same power at the same time... But it is still worth it to calculate that!

So in the example we talked about if my "cooker" says 10 KW. Let's suppose I turn everything on on it, and that it always heats (consume) for 1 hour (I know its theorical). Then I will pay 10KWH which is 10 units of KWH.
Right?
I'm con-fused

Thanks
:rolleyes:

So in the example we talked about if my "cooker" says 10 KW. Let's suppose I turn everything on on it, and that it always heats (consume) for 1 hour (I know its theorical). Then I will pay 10KWH which is 10 units of KWH.
Right?
I'm con-fused

In reality your cooker won't behave like that, but you are correct.
If for example you are paying 10 pence a unit for your electricity, then your theoretical experiment will add £1.00 to your electricity bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back