Electrics In Bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am getting the current bathroom which is downstairs plumbed into an empty room upstairs. The room has a double electric outlet. I asked the spark about this and he said it was fine but I'm but not convinced. I would ideally like to be able to plug in things like an electric toothbrush and shaver and was wondering if there is something I can buy which would replace the current outlet to one in which I can plug things into. Also the room has a standard light switch which I'm guessing would be a hazard. I am going to get some down lighters fitted so would I need to get the switched replaced with a pull cord or one of those touch switches? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi. I am getting the current bathroom which is downstairs plumbed into an empty room upstairs. The room has a double electric outlet. I asked the spark about this and he said it was fine

Where did you find this "electrician"?
IIRC, sockets must be more than 3m from any bath or shower - which is unlikely in all but the most enormous bathrooms.

endecotp is spot on.... BS7671 states no socket within 3m of zone 1 (a bath) and even if you can exceed that distance the circuit must have 30mA RCD protection. Find a new electrician!!

Attachments

• IMG_6641.JPG
    IMG_6641.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Presumably this only applies within the bath room as I have a socket on the walls to the adjacent bedrooms?

Am I also right to assume that moving a shaver point and adding an electric shower are notifiable?

Presumably this only applies within the bath room as I have a socket on the walls to the adjacent bedrooms?
Yes. Bathroom is within the limits of the walls and the door.

Am I also right to assume that moving a shaver point and adding an electric shower are notifiable?
Absolutely too right. You'll need to make sure your electrician is a registered member of one of the schemes so he can notify the work.

Installing a new electric shower would certainly be notifiable (and may well involve instyalling a new circuit, which would itself be notifiable). However, moving a shaver point (or even installing a new one) would only be notifiable (in England) if it was within 600mm of a bath or shower.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks guys! What about in terms of the wall light switch will it have to be removed and replaced with a pull cord?

Thanks guys! What about in terms of the wall light switch will it have to be removed and replaced with a pull cord?
Not necessarily. Despite common beliefs, there is no requirement for a pullcord switch. However, the switch generally needs to be at least 600mm from a bath or shower.

Kind Regards, John

Does the same 600mm rule apply to a fused spur just above the skirting board guys? Thinking about macerators here where to me the fused spur is to close to the toilet pan or basin.

So in a small-ish bathroom where the bath or shower, basin & the toilet all go through a macerator is a fused spur allowed in the room at skirting board height? I`m thinking it`s ok high up the wall below the ceiling.

You need to look at the zone diagram, and then measure it out. That's the only way you can get a definitive answer.

If it can't go inside, then no reason it couldn't go on the wall outside the bathroom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back