electrics to shed/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im installing a new supply to my shed/workshop just a few sockets and lights and ikw heater. the length of run is 36 metres and is protected by an rcbo in the consumer unnit in the house to a consumer unit in the shed.
what size cable is best 16mm or 25mm armoured and would a 50amp rcbo b ok.

Sponsored Links
There are two criteria for working out cable lenght. One is volt drop and loop impedance which are linked.

The other is the supply overload protection.

You say a 50A RCBO which means at least 10mm sq.

36 meters at 50A so with 10mm sq volt drop 7.92 with 16mm sq volt drop 5.04 so either could be used.

Why would one consider 25mm sq? Seems a bit OTT.

If your doing the job then you should work out the loop impedance and volt drop.

ok, thanks, I considered the 25mm because of the lenght of the run. i will probably stick with the 16mm as it is going to be clipped surface in some places and under a patio for about 2 metres.

Sponsored Links
You say a 50A RCBO which means at least 10mm sq. 36 meters at 50A so with 10mm sq volt drop 7.92 with 16mm sq volt drop 5.04 so either could be used.
The OP mentioned lighting, so 7.92 voltage drop (4%) would not be acceptable if the design current was as high as 50A (so 16mm² cable would be needed) - but I wonder whether the OP's 'just a few sockets' is really going to represent a demand of anything like 50A. It would require some pretty serious machinery to be plugged into those sockets for it to be anything like that high - and, if it really were, careful thought would have to be given to how the sockets were to be configured, and what cable size was going to be used (presumably more than one circuit for that high a demand).

Kind Regards, John.

If you are run SWA cable it does not need RCD protection but the CU in the shed will.
What are sockets being used for will help decide the load size and a suitable breaker size.
If you look at getting a Garage CU with 40A/30ma mains isolator/RCD then you could protect the cable from the house by a 40A MCB.
Then you would be looking at 10mm cable
You could also have a garage CU with a higher rated capacity as the 10mm cable will carry a maximum load of just over 50A, so you could protect the cable at the house CU with a 50A MCB but the unit in the shed must be rated at least that.

The OP mentioned lighting, so 7.92 voltage drop (4%) would not be acceptable if the design current was as high as 50A (so 16mm² cable would be needed)

Kind Regards, John.
But would you not design the circuit in a manner that the circuit between house CU and shed CU was a power circuit.
Then take in to account voltage drop of the circuits between CU in shed and circuits that feeds as a different issue.

well there is going to be max 6 x 13amp sockets on a 2.5 ring and 6 x halogen 50watts lights plus 2 28w flourescent fittings, 1kw heater.
the consumer unit in the shed is a 2way with a 63amp main switch..
So what would you recommend as the rcbo size at the consumer unit in the house? mayb a 45amp rcbo?

Does the Shed CU not have integrated RCD protection?
If not I go for maximum the cable will carry, which is 50A.
But I guess your ring main will be 32A and Lights are 6A.
So could put a 40A RCBO in.

The OP mentioned lighting, so 7.92 voltage drop (4%) would not be acceptable if the design current was as high as 50A (so 16mm² cable would be needed)
But would you not design the circuit in a manner that the circuit between house CU and shed CU was a power circuit. Then take in to account voltage drop of the circuits between CU in shed and circuits that feeds as a different issue.
If I understand correctly what you're saying, I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. The maximum permissible voltage drop of 3% for lighting is measured from the origin of the main installation to the light, regardless of what sub-mains or distribution cables might be in between - otherwise one could always cheat with VDs by scattering CUs all around a building and 'resetting' one's VD calculation to the physically nearest baseline!

However,as I said, I find it hard to believe that the OP really does need a design current of 50A - and it wouldn't have to be all that much below that for 10mm² cable to be adequate for the lighting VD (although I'd probably use 16mm², anyway!).

Kind Regards, John.

So you only need to put in an MCB at house consumer unit, as the SWA is mechanically protected and no need for RCD protection on that, having two forms of RCD protection on the same circuit is not needed or practical, unless one is time delayed, which you don't need.

JohnW2.
I see what you mean so that being as it is.
40A MCB at house CU
10mm SWA between house and shed.
63A/30mA Main Isolator CU at Shed
With 32A RFC
and 6A Lights.
That should do.

JohnW2. I see what you mean so that being as it is.
40A MCB at house CU
10mm SWA between house and shed.
63A/30mA Main Isolator CU at Shed
With 32A RFC
and 6A Lights.
That should do.
Yes, as you say, that would do. However, as I said, if it were me, I think I'd use 16mm² SWA (only about 25% more expensive than 10mm²) - to cater for any 'future requirements' (I don't like digging!). I also would probably give very serious consideration to running it as a sub-main (e.g. install a small additional CU) rather than taking it off the main CU.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back