Electrolux WD1034 drum motor won't operate/spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Machine fills OK and drains and drum can be spun freely by hand but drum will not rotate during wash or spin. Most posters seem to highlight worn brushes (mine have lasted 24 years). I can't readily source brushes on line of get info on how to replace them. Do I just unbolt the motor, drop it out and take its casing apart to get at the brushes? Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the speedy informative replies. Unfortunately, after taking the motor out of the bottom of the machine I couldn't find any brushes as I assume I have an induction motor (labelled motor type 20571034).
Therefore, I'm back where I started, not knowing why the motor won't rotate/spin the drum.
Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
thats strange that motor is brush less poss 2 motors ftted at some stage ,that motor must run off a seperate pcb tucked in the corner , its gonna be expensive to fix time to say goodbye i think.

Wow, a museum might be the best place to look for parts.....I would follow the good advice from Rocks & invest in a new machine.
The motor is a multi-winding single phase fitted with a clutch/gear (the big lump on the end) it is controlled by a timer on the panel. You'd have to be really lucky to source any big spares. The only chance you have (and it is a slim one) is if the motor capacitor is defective. There is an 8uf capacitor fitted just under the lid on far the right hand side (at the back). Take it off & get it checked out, you never know your luck :rolleyes:

Tested capacitor in work and found it was faulty, paid £10 for one locally (cheaper online but delivery £ + time), fitted it and my 24 yo machine now washes and spins again !

Many thanks for your helpful comments, especially zipper's.

So there's life in the old dog after all then :LOL:
I don't know anyone who ever got 24 (+++) years out of a washer. Well done Unclebob:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back