Electronic Dimmer not working for me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I thought this would be easier...any help appreciated.

I bought a Gang 2 way universal electronic dimmer switch to replace the standard light switch in the sitting room. The dimmer is the touch-button type with an LED light. It has 3 connections - "L", "Sw" and "~ (with arrow". I have 2 wires plus the earth. The 2 reds are the Live Supply and the Switched Live - connect the two wires and the light works - simple, right? So I connect the Live Supply to "L" and the Switched Live to "~ (with arrow)" as per the instructions...not a dicky-bird!! I thought the switch was faulty so I got a replacement, same thing. Am I missing something? Should electronic dimmer switches have a neutral as well?

Sponsored Links
What type of lamp (light bulb) are you using? CFL / energy saving fluorescents won't work with dimmers.

Sponsored Links
Is it a touch dimmer... like a Varilight one??

If so then is you earth connected and continuous back to the CU / MET?

It shouldn't matter anyway, which is "in" and which is "out", as the current direction changes 100 times a second.

it does as it's electronic and needs a live feed and earth to power the electronics ( some take IR too so are permanently powered ).

Mega bad form, surely, to use the earth as the return path for the control circuitry?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back