Electronic Dimmer not working for me

You are right, but it's no worse than a SMPS filtering to earth. We're talking microamps on a dimmer.
The former is an inevitable consequence of what the filter does.

The latter is deliberately poor design.

Correct - I won't disagree with you there.

However it does mean that manufacturers can sell a fancy dimmer that will replace any switchplate, without having to worry about finding a neutral. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Guys, thanks for the suggestions but still no luck. I hadn't the earth connected so when I read the messages I thought that would have cured it but no, no difference. Instructions say live supply to 'L', switched live to ~(with arrow) and leave 'Sw' empty. I am replacing a manual dimmer (twist type) with this electronic dimmer so I know the bulb takes a dimmer. The brand is 'Ultimate flat plate by GET (http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/ultimate-flat-plate-1-gang-2-way-300w-electronic-dimmer-style-black-nickel-black-insert-p-9725.html).

This is getting annoying!!

Sponsored Links
on the off chance that you've identified the switched live and per live incorrectly, swap them round ( like i#ve already told you to do.. )..

and the bulb may take a dimmer ( the old one was probably resistive ) but the dimmer might not take the bulb ( electronic ones don't like CFL lamps normally, incandescent only.. )

Brian, start at the start. Does your old dimmer switch still work when re-connected?

Also: What sort of lamps is it switching? We need to know how many lamps and what sort they are i.e. what Wattage and is there a transformer involved? normal 'bulb' or a chandelier?

Pictures always help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back