Emergency light in a meter cuboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a new meter cuboard and want to fit an emergency light in it so it shines on the meter and cu if theres a power failure.

Do I need maintatined or non-maintained?

I also want to fit a switch so I can switch it on for meter reading ect

Sponsored Links
You will need a maintained one, as you want to use it as a normal light as well

You will need a maintained one, as you want to use it as a normal light as well

Not quite, the maintained lamp is lit continuously

Fit a NON maintained which will automatically light using battery power when the mains fails. Use a switch to turn the mains to the lamp off to make the lamp light when you need light and mains have not failed.

Remember to turn the lamp OUT ( mains back on ) to enable the batteries to recharge.

Non-maintained - The emergency light units only illuminate in the event of a mains failure.

Maintained - The emergency light units are illuminated at all times using the same lamps for both normal and emergency operation.

Sustained - The emergency light units are fitted with two lamps or two sets of lamps. One of which operates on mains 240V AC supply, the other which operates from the battery supply in the event of mains failure. It is basically a non-maintained system with the addition of mains lamps which should be illuminated whenever the premises are occupied.

Sponsored Links
Or you could run a non maintained thru a switch, you will be able to turn the light on by switching the switch which will in turn kill the power and bring the light on.
Bearing in mind it will be running on batteries so you will only get around 3 hours out of it, this should be enough to read the meter tho :LOL:

Most maintained fittings have a switched live input, to allow them to be used as standard fittings, as well as a permanant live for the emergency part. They usually just have one lamp.

the emergency lamps are fairly expensive (though I have a couple)

unless the power goes off at a convenient time, the batts may run flat before you go to it. So have a torch in there as well. there are some with a flashing LED which lasts a very long time and helps you find them in the dark.

Maintained - The emergency light units are illuminated at all times using the same lamps for both normal and emergency operation.
I thought most maintained fittings had seperate permanent live connections for the mains failure detection/battery charging and switched live connections for switching them on and off.

I dont want it lit all the time, only during power outages, when credit runs out (went in the middle or the night once had to fumble about in the dark for key to release em credidt till i could get to the shops in the morning) and so I can switch in on for meter crediting and reading.

surely a normal torch with a relay that turns them on when the power fails
you know the ones they plug into any conveniant socket in the house that you can carry about as a normal torch

then you could have one plugged in in the bedroom one in the hall where ever would give you maximum coverage when the power runs out

and what about a mains smoke alarm or somthing simmilar that beeps when the mains goes off to alert you that you have lost mains power so you can recharge the meter or go for emergency credit before the battery runs out!!!

this will also allow you to reset your mains alarm so you dont sleep in :D ;)

Ay don't be giving him the torch idea.

I'm a big fan of emergency lighting in the meter cupboards.

Saves me holding my torch in my mouth :D

surely a normal torch with a relay that turns them on when the power fails
you know the ones they plug into any conveniant socket in the house that you can carry about as a normal torch

Got a maglite rechargable that is also going in the cupboard, but the whole idea is so I don't need to use a torch in the first place

then you could have one plugged in in the bedroom one in the hall where ever would give you maximum coverage when the power runs out

Its a bungalow, I can easily get to the meter cupboard in the dark

and what about a mains smoke alarm or somthing simmilar that beeps when the mains goes off to alert you that you have lost mains power so you can recharge the meter or go for emergency credit before the battery runs out!!!

Already got those, thanks for asking :rolleyes:

this will also allow you to reset your mains alarm so you dont sleep in :D ;)

I use my phone as my alarm clock :p

A maintained unit with a normal switch will give you the best of both worlds, you can switch it on to see the meter or in the event of power failure, it will switch itself on using the battery backup. Wire a permanent supply to the light and a switch between L and Ls (switched).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back