Emergency Light Outside a FIRE EXIT

You really haven’t thought about that, have you?
I think we need clarification from @Yanni as to what he really wants. Maybe some of the above is a part of the solution.

What is so wrong with a PIR inside and the light outside? Admittedly, I didn't spend hours thinking about it.

If someone wants to exit via the fire escape for a cigarette, the light will only illuminate when they near the door. If it is the case that the heat from a fire might trigger the PIR, then the external light will come on anyway.

Sponsored Links
the public building I am familiar with has the emergency lights on all the time the building is occupied, including inside and outside all the emergency exits. They are only turned off when the empty building is locked up and the alarm set. They also come on if power fails.

There is no dependency on PIRs or manual intervention

Emergency exits need to be illuminated both inside and outside while the building is in use, and they also need emergency lighting for when power fails, and that is also inside and out.

Switching lighting from a fire panel is of limited value, as not all emergencies involve a fire.

ISTR not all final exits need illumination outside, some may be able to use the lighting from other nearby sources such as street lamps etc.
So there needs to be a risk assessment done on this building before anything is done to the lighting, looking at things like - can someone see well enough to flee to safety once exiting the building.

I suspect that the upshot of all this is that, no you cannot and should leave the lights alone.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I did not make it clear but I do not wish to have the emergency lights outside permanently on as it will highlight to the burglar where the available entrances are and there are 4 around the building, as it is an old mill.

There is not enough ambient light outside as the exits come out to the factory's yard which is very dark.
I like the suggestion of a switch or an internal PIR that switches on the lights outside and perhaps they stay on for 10 minutes or so enough for everyone to be evacuated, although only 3-5 minutes would be adequate.

So basically. an non maintained emergency light for the outside in case the electricity is cut off as well as an external light that is activated by an internal PIR.

I also thought of having a smart external light that comes on when it is dark while the building is occupied and then switched off via the Smart Life app or on a timer via the app in addition to the non maintained emergency lights...
This way we have light constantly on the exits outside when the building is occupied which is only for a couple of hours as we generally close at around 5-5:30. This smart light comes automatically on via a light sensor located outside...

I have various other smart lights in the factory that come automatically in the morning before anyones comes in the building so I will just add these emergency exit lights to the app.
What do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back