Emergency Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some 8w non maintained emergency bulkheads fitted in my cellar that don't work. I think I should test the circuit to see if they are recieving power, then i need to check to see if the battery is working when the mains power is switched off and then test the bulb. Does anyone know how i can do this? Cheers

Sponsored Links
non-maintained means they only come on when the power goes out..
there should be a little red light on them to show they are charging.
just kill the power and see if they light up..

the little red light is not on, but i think they are wired to the mains, which is why i need to do a test of some description

Sponsored Links
No Red or Green LED indicates no mains, or that the battery is not being charged because the battery is F'ed, or the charging circuit faulty.

For the price of these fittings from a wholesaler I would not bother fault finding them. Check for mains into the fittings. If this is good, replace them.

Thanks very much for your comments.
I was hoping to do the testing rather than replace due to the decorating work that would be involved. All i need to know is how to test for power 1st mains power then battery power. I have a multimeter but not too sure how to use it and i don't want to put the leads straight across live & neutral without knowing that i might blow something up. :confused:

You don't need to test.

No charging light tells you that there is no supply to the light (I don't think they are sophisticated enough to only light it if the batteries are actually holding a charge, but I might be wrong), and not working tells you that there is no battery power, or the lamp has failed. Given that you should have a spare lamp anyway, just try replacing it. If it still doesn't light then it could just simply be that it is not properly installed and the batteries are flat.

If you did test, and found no power to the light, what would you do then? If the answer is "don't know" then there is no point in testing.

Why would replacing them mean a lot of decoration? It's only a cellar, after all...

Who installed them? Have they ever worked? What's the longest time you ever spend in the cellar, and how often? (There's a reason for asking that).

The cellar is decorated so it's a room below ground level and we call it the cellar. not sure who installed, or if ever worked. the red light being off does not always mean theres no power, surely. we spend hours in there cos it's the games room at the moment. I think if i could check that there is power getting to the unit then if ther is i need to check that the battery is charging and if not is this due to bad battery or charging circuit. i could then replace the battery if faulty and then the lamp. this should work i think, but i don't know how to test for power with my multimetre

You don't need to test.
(I don't think they are sophisticated enough to only light it if the batteries are actually holding a charge, but I might be wrong),
The LED illuminates to indicate the battery is taking current, not necesserily holding a charge tho.

No Red or Green LED indicates no mains, or that the battery is not being charged because the battery is F'ed, or the charging circuit faulty.

Something that has had me scratching my head, why the two different colours? They don't appear to be associated with maintained or non maintained fittings, or is it just what mood the manufacturer is in when they order them?
Had some frog spots which have a bi colour LED in them, think it is red for charging and green for fully charged.

Green or Red, its all the same. different manufacturers do different things.

The LED is to indicate charging. Disconnect the battery and it will go out. It is to indicate the fitting is good to go so to speak. It may not indicate the battery is good enough for the duration, but indicates it is charging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back