Emergency stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install an emergency cut off to my garage sockets... The circuit will be running at upto 32A. What is involved in inserting a single switch that cuts off power to the whole circuit?

Sam.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much the switch and a contactor, when emergency stop button is pushed the contactor will drop out and cut power to whatever load you have connected - in this case the sockets. You'll have to select an appropriate contactor for the job, and decide on how you want to go about resetting the circuit after the emergency stop has been activated.

We have lots of E/M stops around here and they all work in much the same way. The main contactor has an auxiliary normally open contact on it. This goes in series with the E/M stop switches, all of which are normally closed. A reset switch, which is a momentary normally open type, is wired in parallel with the auxiliary contact. This combination of switches is what powers the contactor's coil.

Power for the coil is of course tapped off before the contactor so it's always available but it isn't used for anything else. It's also 24 volts because it runs around lots of E/M stop switches. Sometimes there are little extras, eg a green light to indicate power on or a red one, fed from a normally closed auxiliary, to indicate power off.

The E/M stop switches have a mechanical latch that holds them open until they are either pulled or turned to release them. This renders the reset button ineffective until the latched switch has been found and released.

For a simple installation with a single switch you could skip the 24V transformer and the indicator lights but I would still go for the latching switch. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back