emmisions failure ,HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fiat Brava x reg failed mot last week on a few minor faults and the CO emmisions and lambda tests.
I sorted out the minor probs and then to hopefully pass the emmisions failure did an oil change changed the spark plugs,changed the oil filter and cleaned the lambda sensor and the air filter was fine.
Took it back in today , ran it up the motorway ,kept it hot , and it Failed again,only this time the CO and lambda readings were WORSE than before!!?? :eek:
I dont know what to do now ,I m F****d!
any ideas please or a nice mot station that will help me out here in knowsley? ;)
shame, thats the only thing on the mot paper ,the emmisions.
help please guys.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mikell
Sorry about your news.
I had a similar problem and I got some additive from the car parts shop.
It was like treacle and you add it to the oil.
I also left the air filter out for the test to make sure it got as much air as possible.
G.

ta.
it idles ok to me always starts first time never seems to kangaroo or anything ,runs great.
,but since the first fail I had also used two containers of additives designed to clear away all the gunk and lower your emmissions in to the petrol for a week before the test ,and I used the best petrol too!
and it got worse!!

Sponsored Links
Same thing happened with my Clio, garage put some additive in the tank and I took it back the next day. Don't know what units it's measured in, but it was 30 less the next day, and passed fine.

Looking at getting a universal sensor off ebay ( crimp the 4 wires together), as i v been told if the sensors out the co will be out too.
was tested in council run station but after checking with Local garages ,seems they( local garages) will try to change the cat for megabucks and insist on doing the mot thuroughly themselves and `may` find lots of other things that the council missed,as I expected.
so is a universal new sensor for 17 quid the best way to go do you think?

Just my opinion mate but I don't rate 'universal' lambda sensors...I think you'll need a new cat, personally - if the management light isn't on.....I'll not mention the time when I submitted a Kia Sportage for MOT - emissions were high, but next to it was a Mondeo with its engine running - and no one saw the sample tube disappear up its exhaust pipe.. :eek:

Just my opinion mate but I don't rate 'universal' lambda sensors...I think you'll need a new cat, personally - if the management light isn't on.....I'll not mention the time when I submitted a Kia Sportage for MOT - emissions were high, but next to it was a Mondeo with its engine running - and no one saw the sample tube disappear up its exhaust pipe.. :eek:

One way to get it stopped. :rolleyes:

me too,plenty of bosch sensors on ebay for around £50

Truth is I dont want to fork out a lot if I can help it as im planing on downsizing once it passes (hopefully) . So even if the universal gets me through I will be happy enough!
The paperwork that came with the car said the cat had been changed a few years back too.

Well I have bought one and fitted it and in my mind the car `feels` like its running better,dont know if its something you would notice after changing one of these?
Am going to get theemmisions tested by a garage for a tenner ,to see if it will pass before running it back to the mot station,wish me luck!!

Often you find the tickover a bit more stable once the lambda has been replaced....best of luck with the MOT! Cheers John

Just had it in to be checked at the local garage and it passed the emmissions tests with flying colours,now to see if it passes the mot tests tommorow!
If they put in the same licence number would the same emmisions test be carried out or could tghey differ from place to place?

to finish ,it failed again,took it tio another guy who before looking at it said you need a new backbox coz he can hear it has blown!( 3 other guys have been there first by the way ) . sure enough he got it up pointed out the holes to me ,changed the backbox,I took it back to the mot guy who then passed it!!
Just shows what someone spots loads of others miss!!
I was told my cat had gone by one ,was told it was the lambda sensor by another, and it will fail until i get them done,new backbox and dadaa!! mot!!
MAAD! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back