Employment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, youve probably answered this before but I was just wondering what the possible routes into becoming an electrician are, I'm 19 so I think I'm passed the age for an apprentiship :confused: any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys :D

Sponsored Links
Not too old for an apprenticeship and that is the best route.

In the days when there was a shortage of electricians one could take some courses and then work as an electricians mate progressing to become an electrician.

However today there are loads of fully qualified electricians looking for work and to find anyone willing to employ some one who has not had both theoretical and practical is slim.

This means the only way people not formally trained can get work is by being self employed. This also means no one to ask when something comes up of which you haven't had experience of before. Also because of the Part P regulations and there is something similar in Scotland the work they can do is very limited.

At one time passing the C&G 2381 was enough to get first job but today the replacement exam C&G 2382 (17th Edition) is not enough and to get C&G 2330 you need block release. The only other exam you could take is the C&G 2391 or the cut down version C&G 2392 as they are only courses run as night classes. Even the C&G 2392 has a very low pass rate even among time served electricians and with the government league tables for collages getting on the course is not so easy as the collages don't want failures.

I am not saying it is impossible but it would be very hard to break into the trade in this climate.

kevmcdo9, you still have time to be an apprentice but getting an employee to take you on the books could be a problem at the moment, with the current working climate.
But you don't need to hold a job down in the electrical trade to make a start to gaining qualification, it does help though!
City & Guilds 2330 is the current route in but this will be changing soon to the
City & Guilds 2357.
It can be done full-time one day a week at a college or training provider, or part-time 2 evenings a week.
It will take about 2 years to gain level 3 qualifications as a full-time student and 3 years as a P-T student.
Then progression to other qualification can be made such as 2381/82 and 2391/2.
You need to contact your local colleges to see who is offering these courses.
This a run down of will be expected of you.

* Applying Health and Safety legislation and working practices (Electrotechnical Services)
* Understanding Health and Safety legislation and working practices (Electrotechnical Services)
* Applying environmental legislation, working practices and principles (Electrotechnical Services)
* Understanding environmental legislation, working practices and principles (Electrotechnical Services)
* Overseeing and organising the working environment
* Understand the practices and procedures for overseeing and organising the work environment
* Terminating and connecting of conductors, cables and flexible cords in electrical systems
* Understanding the principles, practices and legislation for the termination and connection of conductors, cables and flexible cords in electrical systems
* Inspecting, testing and commissioning electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Understanding the principles, practices and legislation for the inspection, testing and commissioning of electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Diagnosing and correcting electrical faults in electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Understanding the principles, practices and legislation for diagnosing and correcting electrical faults in electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Understanding electrical principles associated with the design, building, installation and maintenance of electrical equipment and systems
* Planning, preparing and installing electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Understanding the practices and procedures for planning, preparing and installing of electrical systems and equipment in buildings and structures
* Occupational Competence Assessment (AM2)

You really want to get calling now as the new term year starts in Sept.
There are fast track courses, but to be honest give them a miss. I really don't see who anyone can claim to be competent after taking one of them. How do they take all that information in, in such a short period of time?

I'd rush down to the local college mate, sign up for the CG 2330 and with luck you be sitting in class in 4 weeks time.

Sponsored Links
I'd rush down to the local college mate, sign up for the CG 2330 and with luck you be sitting in class in 4 weeks time.

My local college only allows you to take 2330 if you are already working in the industry! :confused:

My local college only allows you to take 2330 if you are already working in the industry! :confused:

They aren't allowed to do that, 2391 yes- but since 2330 is the base, any newbie with a few GCSE's and the ability to blag enthusiasm regarding electrical work should get in.

OK if you have 30 apprentices with work contracts they would get priority, but if the classes aren't fully booked the opportunity for newbie will be available.

Thw 2330 is devised so people not in the trade have a path in to the early stages of qualification. I was lead to understand that if the college was fully booked, even with apprentices they would all have sit an entry test.

Phone/write to some of the bigger companies in Glasgow.
Glendale Electrical, H.F. Electrical, Mcgills, E.M Mackenzie, Forth Elec. Services (FES) are a few I know of.
The problem is that any apprenticeship spots that have prpbably already been filled because the college term starts in august.

Phone/write to some of the bigger companies in Glasgow.
Glendale Electrical, H.F. Electrical, Mcgills, E.M Mackenzie, Forth Elec. Services (FES) are a few I know of.
The problem is that any apprenticeship spots that have prpbably already been filled because the college term starts in august.

can you afford to work voluntary ? I was made redundant from a telecommunication job (office based) and received a decent pay off , cleared my debt , signed on and looked for work as an electricians mate , before being made redundant I had completed my level 2 2330 and was on with level 3 , I had unemployment insurance so I could afford to work voluntary as the insurance paid my mortgage , I did a year voluntary and am now employed as an adult trainee.. try firms that do commercial , industrial work , write a letter explaining you can work for no pay in exchange for experience , maybe get a part time job to give you pocket money and work voluntary 4 days

[/quote]can you afford to work voluntary ? I was made redundant from a telecommunication job (office based) and received a decent pay off , cleared my debt , signed on and looked for work as an electricians mate , before being made redundant I had completed my level 2 2330 and was on with level 3 , I had unemployment insurance so I could afford to work voluntary as the insurance paid my mortgage , I did a year voluntary and am now employed as an adult trainee.. try firms that do commercial , industrial work , write a letter explaining you can work for no pay in exchange for experience , maybe get a part time job to give you pocket money and work voluntary 4 days[/quote]

Good point never even thought of that, one point, would they be willing to fork out to put me on the business insurance ? How did you start off getting your electrical qualifications may I ask ? :)

When I started I asked about the insurance and they made no issue of it .. My old job was 4 days on 4 days off so I had plenty of time to study and attend college .. I did my 17th edition too which was the best course I have done so far its all based on the regs but the going through the book for 12 weeks will help you massively

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back