Empty F+E Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Developed fault with my heating yesterday evening, thought is was a air lock in system as had surging noises and no heat at rads. Bled rads some improvement but then went cold again. Turned off system to look at this morning.
After reading some posts on here, checked F+E tank (didnt know it was there till this morning!) found it to be empty! The valve filling it was stuck closed, released valve and tank filled. Turned system back on, and now have heating at rads, but does not appear to be as hot as it was before problem. I have turned up thermostat to try and encourage more heat thinking it may rectify itself! Have also bled rads again although very little air was present. The rads are staying warm/hot so problem has improved, but unsure if further faults could have been caused by empty F+E tank. Pump appears to be working as I can hear it and feel vibrations. Not sure if relevant but pipework around pump (feed pipes etc) appear to be hotter than rads.
Just for info, the boiler is Stelrad Group Ideal Elan 2, Pump is Wilo Gold 50 (replaced about 3 years ago), and motorised mid position valve is Honeywell V4073A.
Thanks for any input, hopefully it will just work its way thro.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just keep checking for air - also there may be a bleed point by the HW cylinder.
Sometimes a pump will overheat quickly if run dry, then go slow, without sounding any different. Didn't believe it the first time it happened to me.

Thanks for reply.
Heating has come on as normal and is heating up fine.
Will check for air at rads and I have bled thro bleed valve at HW tank (forgot to mention it)
Fingers crossed it will be ok with no further trouble.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back