emulsion over wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A work colleague is adament he is going to emulsion over wallpaper (not vinyl paper) with emulsion - as the paper is flat and clean. It is only ' the spare room' is his reason. What are the risks here and what would be the safest type of emulsion to use - to minimise risk of problems. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lots of people do that, no great prob until you want to get the paper off, and it has been strengthened and sealed by the paint. he may have to stick some seams down if they lift. Readymixed paste is good for that.

I wouldn't do it myself, though.

I hate this lazy procedure, as the next Decorator/Person will be left with a nightmare scenario. I only recomend emulsioning over a blown vinyl, finished textured vinyl, woodchip (only with vinyl matt) etc.....However, the problem your friend has is if he uses Vinyl Matt, then if any loose paper, then this may cause the emulsion to crack (at paper movement areas). Also, if any paste is atill sitting on the surface of the the wallpaper, then this will cause the emulsion to yellow and posibly crack. But then again it will be easier to strip the wallpaer with vinyl matt on it at a later date. If he uses vinyl silk or soft sheen then there will be no probs emulsion the paper but god help the Decorator/Person who is to deal with the situation of the emulsioned wallpaper with silk/soft sheen on it. But then again the the silk/soft sheen will show up ALL edges. To be honest i would explain to your friend to strip & line & emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back