Energy Performance Certificate. Is it Correct?

imo not fit for purpose , what a total waste of time and money down the drain, can't even take into consideration simple controls now what is the point of that, total joke

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your posts.

It would indeed appear that folks aren't really too interested in the EPC when buying a property, as long as it's not in the red section!

He seems to be suggesting that if you insist on having him come back that you may end up with a poorer rating. Due (as he suggests) to not having time control over each of your stats.
All of the stats do have time control, they are all linked to a single programmer that controls the entire system, exactly as a system with TRV's would be.

Does they guy that installed this setup for you still service the boiler there? No doubt someone will ask for service record.
No, unfortunately not, the heating came with the bungalow when it was new in 1981. The motorised valves (one of which is still an original!) were added about 2 years later by my father who was a registered plumber, (he didn't do the wiring) but he died 25 years ago. Since then, my mother has had it serviced annually by BG under a service scheme which is documented, they also changed the 'heat only' boiler for a 'combi' 10 years ago, but didn't change the control set up.

Last edited:
It's also why the EPC has suggestions for things which make no sense to anyone - such as paying £4000 to install hot water solar panels

Yep, that's there, along with photovoltaic cells. Not sure where they all would go. It's only a small bungalow and doesn't have a south facing roof.

It also mentions insulating the solid concrete floor, which I guess sounds reasonable, but does anyone actually do this? and if so, how would it be done?

Sponsored Links
It also mentions insulating the solid concrete floor, which I guess sounds reasonable, but does anyone actually do this? and if so, how would it be done?
Dig the whole thing up at a gigantic cost with massive disruption then insulate, replace concrete, redecorate every room and all to save next to nothing.

Or insulate over the top of the existing, which requires removing all doors, adjusting all door openings, relocating all plumbing and electrical items, total redecoration, massive disruption and as before saves next to nothing.

Probably cheaper to demolish the whole thing and build again from new.

For even more stupidity, look at the agents note on this property for sale: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41515974.html

epc_note.png

I responded to the company that sent the assessor, and sent along some photographs showing room thermostats that the assessor had 'missed' and the reply was:

"If your are happy for me to resubmit without a revisit if I changed the controls to programmer and 2 room stats but would need a revisit for me to record the heating controls as time and temperature zone control"

I have cloned the EPC to assess the impact of both of the above options and the outcomes would be as follows

Existing EPC - EER 63, EIR 63

Programmer and at least 2 room stats - EER 64, EIR 65 (recommendation for TRVs would remain)

Time and Temperature zone control - EER 66, EIR 67 (recommendation for TRVs would no longer appear)

Can you please let me know which option you want me to proceed with. As I said before I am happy to revisit the property"

As the change is insignificant and wouldn't appear to have any effect to potential new owners anyway, I have instructed them to leave it. Also, I wouldn't really want the same assessor again as I have doubts about his competence. I've told him several times there are 5 thermostats, one for each room, and even sent photographs, but he keeps gong on about "2 room stats" and his command of English seems poor too..... or is it me?........:confused:

I responded to the company that sent the assessor, and sent along some photographs showing room thermostats that the assessor had 'missed' and the reply was:

"If your are happy for me to resubmit without a revisit if I changed the controls to programmer and 2 room stats but would need a revisit for me to record the heating controls as time and temperature zone control"

I have cloned the EPC to assess the impact of both of the above options and the outcomes would be as follows

Existing EPC - EER 63, EIR 63

Programmer and at least 2 room stats - EER 64, EIR 65 (recommendation for TRVs would remain)

Time and Temperature zone control - EER 66, EIR 67 (recommendation for TRVs would no longer appear)

Can you please let me know which option you want me to proceed with. As I said before I am happy to revisit the property"

As the change is insignificant and wouldn't appear to have any effect to potential new owners anyway, I have instructed them to leave it. Also, I wouldn't really want the same assessor again as I have doubts about his competence. I've told him several times there are 5 thermostats, one for each room, and even sent photographs, but he keeps gong on about "2 room stats" and his command of English seems poor too..... or is it me?........:confused:

i swear they make it up to suit , this energy cr-p is a load of shyte for pen pushers . its not hard to record what you have at the time FFS ,either the bloke is a knob or they have not got the technology to produce current set up , either of those is total ******es what a waste of time and money .

I would ask for a reassessment FOC, seeing as they didn't do it correctly the first time. Otherwise I would suggest that they reimburse some of the original cost. None of those things are going to happen, but it might make them behave in a more processional way next time they go out to do an assessment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back