Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was recommended Castrol Edge 0W 30 by the Honda dealer we bought the car from new. It has a 2.2 iCDTi engine without DPF.

That's what I have always bought.

I was looking at buying a new lot from Amazon when I came across this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-15...le=866-62&replacementKeywords=0w30+oil&sr=8-3

Labelled for Honda to Spec C2.

Then I go on Castrol's site and see this:

upload_2020-8-22_16-15-15.png
upload_2020-8-22_16-16-7.png

Having searched the forum, I find Mannol is a very good brand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANNOL-Leg...=1&keywords=mannol+0w30&qid=1598108684&sr=8-4

You might say it's a bit late when I'm 145K down the road, but which oil should I be using?

Sponsored Links
Honda, with their 'earth dreams' diesel engines always recommend 0W /30 and in my opinion Castrol is as good as it gets.....a bit expensive right enough but its served you well to date.
I'd stick with it, plus a genuine Honda filter.
John :)

I am a little intrigued by the recommendation that only genuine Honda, or other manufacturer filters should be used. Surely the big names, like Fram, Crosland and Mann (to name but
three) manufacture their filters to the same spec as the manufacturer, and, in some cases, may even supply the manufacturer as original equipment. Anyone care to comment on this?

We can only hope that after market filters are made to the manufacturers specification and the same applies to oils, really.....if in doubt a genuine item should suit things well and certainly if there is a warranty claim involved.
Many manufacturers specify Castrol oils so maybe its best to go with that during the warranty period.
Personally i'm using Comma or Morris lubricants for general servicing......I've no problem with Mannol for example but not all of their products are good - spray greases and penetrating oils aren't much cop and the puncture repair sealant is hopeless.

Sponsored Links
When establishing the right engine oil, visit a few oil websites, Castrol, Exol, Millers, Morris, ... etc to establish the grade/specification of oil for the engine. What's the car manual say?

Mannol, along with Fanfaro and Pemco, is an oil label by SCT of Germany and the oil is blended in Lithuania. SCT own the plant. We have three cars running on 7715 OEM which is a VW approved blend.

Honda, like all other car brands, buy filters in from manufacturers. Call in to your local Honda garage and ask to have a look at a filter for your car. It'll have the manufacturer's name in small print. VW filters are made by Mann.

As the car has 145,000 miles on it, I think it might be wise to use a slightly thicker oil than 0W30 so I think a 5W40 would be a very good idea indeed. Using a slightly thicker oil is beneficial to maintain good oil pressure in older cars especially in hot weather and at low engine rpm.

I am a little intrigued by the recommendation that only genuine Honda, or other manufacturer filters should be used. Surely the big names, like Fram, Crosland and Mann (to name but
three) manufacture their filters to the same spec as the manufacturer, and, in some cases, may even supply the manufacturer as original equipment. Anyone care to comment on this?
I service my own cars and use same filters as dealer but not stamped vw.
In other words, oil filter is Mann 12345 (not real code) and I buy the same filter from any retailer for a fraction of dealer cost.
Same for the oil.
Mind you, last time I was at the dealer I asked about their price for oil and filters (oil, air and cabin) and as expected it was extortionate.
The fella, seeing that i wasn't interested in buying asked how much i was expecting to pay and I showed him online.
He price matched the filters and the oil only came to £4 more (10 litres).
So I bought everything there.
I'm gonna try again next year and see if i was just lucky or it's something they can do on a regular basis.
Otherwise oem products are perfectly identical.

If its of any interest on the filters subject, Mann (Mann-Hummel) now own Wix, a US brand and Filtron, a Polish based brand.

My local VW charges x2 the price that my local AP branch does for the same Mann filter for my Bora TDI. The local VW and AP are 500 yards apart. Mann also make filters for Bosch.

Changed the fuel filter on a Polo TDI recently. I installed a Hengst filter (made in China) and the one I took off was a UFI branded filter which also had the Audi logo on and "Made in China".

If its of any interest on the filters subject, Mann (Mann-Hummel) now own Wix, a US brand and Filtron, a Polish based brand.

My local VW charges x2 the price that my local AP branch does for the same Mann filter for my Bora TDI. The local VW and AP are 500 yards apart. Mann also make filters for Bosch.

Changed the fuel filter on a Polo TDI recently. I installed a Hengst filter (made in China) and the one I took off was a UFI branded filter which also had the Audi logo on and "Made in China".
I actively stay away from made in china products, even clothes.
My mann filter was marked "made in Germany", although I understand that to have that marking only the last process of manufacturing must be made in EU, so possibly they just put the o-rings in.
However, whatever people say, the chinese quality is inferior.
Ask anyone who has worked in a EU factory in china.

If we are to avoid filters made in China, that means buying at local factors and identify where the filter was made. If buying online, we don't know where it was made until we take delivery and the seller may not accept return if the reason is country origin.

Here's a quote from a Honda TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) I received in June 2018.
'N16A1, 1600cc, 1800cc 2.2cc Europe and excluding North America and inclusive of Earth Dreams engines -
'It is essential that only the correct specification SAE 0W-30 fully synthetic low ash oil is used in these engines or internal engine damage can occur. Some owners have tried using SAE 5W-30 or SAE 5W-40 lubricants but these are of too high a viscosity rating'.

Honda didn't specify what mileages were involved or what kind of engine damage resulted but there we are.
For sure, if you have a VTEC engine the correct viscosity oil is vital - I for one can vouch for that.

Mileage doesn't make any difference in the oil that needs to be used.
Manufacturer specifications must be adhered to and subsequent updated passed to the consumer from the manufacturer (this doesn't happen).
Think about the now obsolete power steering mineral fluid g002000 replaced by the synthetic g004000 by VW without telling anyone.
The reservoir says "use only g002000".
So unless you went to a main dealer to get some ps fluid, you'd be looking forever.

Mileage doesn't make any difference in the oil that needs to be used.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, the likes of Motul and Morris, on their oil selector apps, ask you to select less than 100k miles or more than 100k miles.

We're lucky. All of ours use 5w30 so I put VW504.00/507.00 in them.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, the likes of Motul and Morris, on their oil selector apps, ask you to select less than 100k miles or more than 100k miles.

We're lucky. All of ours use 5w30 so I put VW504.00/507.00 in them.
I hope you use Quantum instead of the newly recommended Castrol which I find making the engine more noisy.
For years they insisted on quantum and all of a sudden it's Castrol time.
Personally I still use Quantum in my Vag cars.

I hope you use Quantum instead of the newly recommended Castrol which I find making the engine more noisy.
For years they insisted on quantum and all of a sudden it's Castrol time.
Personally I still use Quantum in my Vag cars.

Quantum oils, sold at VW, were blended by Castrol till about 5 years ago when Fuchs took over the blending. That's when the shape of the oils tubs changed. I've experimented with a few brands of 5w30 504.00/507.00 and haven't noticed any performance difference.

The Smith and Allan blend.

The Mannol blend, also sold as Fanfaro LSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back