eogb sterlin boiler wont work HELP !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just switched my oil c/heating on and the motor wont kick in, taken motor out and it spins with yer fingers ok so not seized up and oil pump spins fine any help would be appreciated thanks, the motor is a eogb sterling/bentone 90w

Sponsored Links
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the boiler maybe
the fault is with your central heating controls/zone valves.

Is 240v getting to the motor / burner?

what boiler is it? is there any lock out lights on it? why do think its the burner? what is your system arrangement? basically a bit more info.

hi thanks for repleying, if you spin the motor by hand and switch power on at the same time it runs fine but wont start by its self so theres power getting to motor its as thow there isnt enough power to kick it in,

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for repleying, if you spin the motor by hand and switch power on at the same time it runs fine but wont start by its self so theres power getting to motor its as thow there isnt enough power to kick it in,

Might just need the run capacitor replacing. Check if there is any leaking here.
Otherwise new motor needed then.
You'll also need to have it set up by an oil engineer as a new motor
will most likely affect the pressure and therefore need a flue gas analyser.

Changing motor should not necessitate resetting pressure as the Danfoss pump delivers from 1425 rpm. However, whilst doing such a job, it is prudent to check all combustion settings following a good service.

Might just need the run capacitor replacing. Check if there is any leaking here.
Otherwise new motor needed then.
You'll also need to have it set up by an oil engineer as a new motor
will most likely affect the pressure and therefore need a flue gas analyser.

I was always of the impression that capacitor split phase motors were used,Where the capacitor is in series with the start winding.to give a 90
deg phase shift from the run winding to create the turning force on starting.

Yes, exactly, except that in small motors the cap and "start" winding are left connected all the time.

In medium size motors the cap ( or a start winding ) is disconnected by a centrifugally operated switch.

A weak cap will reduce the torque in most of those small motors like circulating pumps etc.

Tony

I was referring to it being called a "Run" capacitor as opposed to a "Start".
As I have a multimeter with capacitance range testing is part of any maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back