EOL In Series

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a zone with one PIR fitted. Jumper inside the PIR are set to 4k7 and 2k2.

I l would like to fit two magnetic contacts to the zone but unsure how to wire them.

Each magnetic contact would have a 4k7 resistor wired across the reed sensor.

Where does the 2k2 resistor if the pir and 2 magnetic door contacts are wired in series?

Can I just set the jumper in the PIR to 2k2 and this would satisfy or does it need to be in series like the graphic?

Apologies for the childish graphic.

Sponsored Links
The circuit is supposed to flow through the alarm terminals and then through the end of line resistor, then through the tampers.

this way any device in tamper will show

Thanks

So if I re jig the wiring as in this diagram and place a 2k2 resistor in series.

Will this be ok?

There appears to be no tamper wired in the pir or the contacts OR at all in your diagram.

what is right and what will work is not the same thing.

Sponsored Links
You are going to have trouble with this...

Firstly, it is not good practice to wire multiple devices to a single zone.

Secondly, all the "alarm" contacts must be wired in series with the 4k7 resistor across them all.

Thirdly, there is no provision for a tamper switch in the door contacts so you will have to use a spare pair and twist them under a screw.

I don't know how to do pictures on this iPad so let's see how this looks... (ignore the dots!)

PIR Tamper
___________/__|2k2|________________ A
|. . . . . . .|
/ PIR . . .4k7. . . _____________________ T
|. . . . . . .| . . . . |
/ DC . . . .| . . . . X
|. . . . . . .| . . . . |
/ DC . . . .| . . . . X
|_______|_____|

I hope this makes sense - you will have to use the alarm terminals on the PIR to connect to the door contacts but you won't be able to use the built-in 4k7 resistor. You can still use the 2k2 resistor resistor on the PIR's tamper switch.

similar diagram but when the contacts donthave a tamper switch. so you are using the spare.

sorry about the quality of the diagram rehashed the original.

Why do you need them all on the same zone?

On your proposal a broken wire between one alarm contact on a pir going to a door contact would give an alarm even if the device wasnt activated?

Time for bed its late.

Second picture is correct - you can't have a 4k7 across each contact because the panel would see >6k9 when two or more contacts were open and that would be a tamper. :(

I did a finger painting on the iPad but I can't work out how to upload it!

The "tamper spare" can be in either leg back to the panel ("A" or "T", blue or red).

The scenario I have is a laundry room with one PIR fitted working configured EOL.

There is a two pane sliding window in the room and my concern is the window can be left open when the alarm is set.

So my idea is to put two magnet surface contacts on the window, one on each opener.

But even if I put these two on their own zone, if both panes were left open, then this would show >6k9.

Do readers have an alternative solution.

You can check the status of what your system will read by having all the resistors in series in the panel temporay wired into the zone just the resistors, but it may cause an issue as previously out lined.

If it does then the only options left is not to use resistors, or have the one 4k7 resistor across all 3 devices. You can swap for 3k3 resistors but this would still be over the 6k9.

Thanks I understand your point about the cumulative value of the resistors.

I have just found this in the manual, I think I will try a mock up like you suggest and see what happens.

Thanks everyone.

This must be a much more tolerant panel than the ones I'm used to! For example, a Galaxy panel would give you a "High res" alert with as little as 10% over!!

Not all panels behave exactly the same but the manual for that one suggests its possible.

Can't remember last time I had 3 devices on a zone if ever.

If the alarm is reporting "High Resistance" ( both windows open ) then if this prevents the alarm being set then the user will be aware the windows are open.

I would have thought that "high resistance" would ( should ) be treated by the panel in the same as very high resistance ( open circuit ) as would occur if the cables were cut. That is an alarm condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back