ES and SES polarity checks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if there is anything simple available for testing polarity on es and ses light fittings live?? I was thinking along the lines of a screw in unit which would indicate if polarity was correct

Sponsored Links
A multimeter?

You'd need to find something earthed, connect one lead of your multimeter to that.

Then carefully, use the other probe to check the light fitting. The neutral should be less than 5v, while the live one will be 230-250v.

i would not suggest a multi meter, (not by putting it in the light fitting) as the connections are very close to each other, one slip and ...............

..BANG?

Doesn't the light fitting have L & N marked where the wiring goes?

Sponsored Links
the problem is this isn't DC and there is no earth connection so you need a test reference

what you need is a pair of leads

on one end of the leads you have plugs ofr your multimeter

on the other end of one you haev a ocnnection ot the earth terminal of a plug

on the other end you have a connection to the centre pole of an ES cap

with a bit of care it should be possible to remove the cap from an es bulb break away the remainder of the glass and glue it to a bar of something insulateing (pvc conduit is the most appropriate thing i can think of that is easilly availible)

another way would be to hook up a small battery to the lighting cuircuit (eith it isolated of course)

and the just mesure the polarity of the dc from the battery with your multimeter

Why not get busy with some lamp bases, test leads, soldering iron and epoxy potting compound?

ban-all-sheds said:
Why not get busy with some lamp bases?

Does no-one sell BC and ES plugs anymore? ISTR some concerns about people using the BC type as an inline connector but one would have thought that someone would make them available to electricians.

ryanj said:
..BANG?

Doesn't the light fitting have L & N marked where the wiring goes?

But there's nothing to say that the conductor connected to the L terminal is carrying the phase......

Never seen an ES plug, but I have a BC one if you're desperate....

Replying to my own query..........one of the small screwdrivers which light up when you touch the end on 240v does the trick, just make sure it is insulated with just 3mm exposed at tip.

Replying to my own query..........one of the small screwdrivers which light up when you touch the end on 240v does the trick, just make sure it is insulated with just 3mm exposed at tip.

NOT RELIABLE.......

It may light up on the neutral if the "earth reference" which is your body is nearer to Live potential than earth due to you being close to live cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back