ESA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am unfortunately claiming this.I am on long-term sick leave.

Appalled that you have to:

ring an 0845 number (saynoto0870 had no alternative) thus generating £££'s for the Govt.

enter your DOB and NI number then get asked for it again when talking to the call centre battery chicken: what's the point of entering it in the first place?

This takes forever, along with the wait to speak to a chicken, as they have so few chickens on duty they cannot service everyone.

When you get to talk to someone about your benefit, you find out that despite being electronically sent "direct" to your bank account, it takes three full days to clear a payment into your account.

When you are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel and buying economy lines through necessity not choice, it all adds up to a stressful afternoon. I said in the conversation that I hoped it was being recorded and would be chosen for scrutiny by the chicken's superiors. That way, they might reconsider this 3 day delay.

Apparently, I don't qualify for an emergency payment: maybe I haven't annoyed them enough yet. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
sorry to hear your plight :cry: :cry:

all benefits are automatically " processed " 3 days after signing the relevant documents or the due date each fortnight in arrears

the system is very harsh and only really favours children
a single person on benefits gets [housing aside] £71 a weeks to pay all bills cloth them selves buy all household goods and eat 'the average single person will have less than £3 a day for food clothes and household contents after bills

Years ago (about 20) I applied for a crisis loan (from the then DHSS) (me and the missus at the time had split up and I had to move)
I was turned down, with the explanation, that I had to have been on benefits for 26 weeks before they would consider such a request. I'd actually been on benefits for 25 weeks at the time.

I get the impression there is no care or compassion anywhere.

You are just a number, not a human being.

Sponsored Links
I get the impression there is no care or compassion anywhere.

You are just a number, not a human being.

unfortunately there are so many misconceptions about benefits being generous
when in fact they are derisory if you cant work no one one has any chance off existing on them people go from poverty to abject poverty within a few weeks
as i say a single person over 25 get £71to run a house feed and clothe them selves
the same single person if they have a child will get a further £70ish pound purely for the child
in other words a child attracts over 3 times the the free income that an adult gets
so a single adult has around £21 a week for food clothes and household requirement add a child and that turns to nearly £95 so the government assume an adult is worth around £3 a day and a child is worth £10 a day :eek:

Hmm, that reminds me, I'll have to go through the indignity of it all, after I get back from me sunshine holiday :D

Before anyone sneers, it was booked a long time ago, whilst I was working, but not yet aware that I was gonna be stiffed by the client.

Anyhow, all the best Simon, it is very demoralising having to deal with these folk, even worse it you have to attend the job centre every 2 weeks.

the same single person if they have a child will get a further £70ish pound purely for the child
in other words a child attracts over 3 times the the free income that an adult gets
so a single adult has around £21 a week for food clothes and household requirement add a child and that turns to nearly £95 so the government assume an adult is worth around £3 a day and a child is worth £10 a day :eek:

I've got 3 lads. Are you saying I should get more?

I've got 3 lads. Are you saying I should get more?

surely you should get child tax credits...plus child benefit too.

It beats me how people on benefits all drive cars, have massive teles, sky subscriptions, smoke non-stop, drink, and are usually fat. Benefits need reducing - not increasing.

It beats me how people on benefits all drive cars, have massive teles, sky subscriptions, smoke non-stop, drink, and are usually fat. Benefits need reducing - not increasing.

actually of all my case load.....none have cars, one has sky.....most smoke/drink......none pay rent/council tax.....all never pay their water rates......they ALL have huge tellys.....

wouldnt swap their life for your own though................would you?

Not driving at the moment for medical reasons. In any case, the car is SORNED with MOT expired.

21" CRT TV.

No Sky, just Freeview.

Gave up in 1994.

Extremely rare.

OK, you've got me: I'm fat.

I'm only claiming benefit as my sick pay and SSP has run out.

I'm now earning absolutely nothing.

My gas/electricity payment every month is £170 alone. I'm struggling.

Sponsored Links
Back