espace lighting relay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help, before I lose all my hair. My daughter has my old renault Espace, 1994 2.1turbo diesel and the lights are driving me crazy. When the lights are switched on all the lights refused to work, no sides, dipped, main, tail or fog. It cannot be a fuse as everything is dead. when I opened the fusebox to look for a relay everything came on again, when i closed the fusebox they went off again. A connection!! so I chcked all the connections and nothing I suspect a relay is cutting the power for all the lighting. when I checked the feed to the light switch the red wire had 12 volts ok but when I switched the lights on the 12volts have gone. That was enoughto convince me I need some help. Sorry to be so long winded but I am trying to give as much info as possible any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
A wiring diagram may be a good place to start, there are a number of reasons for the 12v disappearing when the switch is made. It could be a dodgy contact or it could even be designed to work like that.
One thing about the wiring in cars is they do not appear to follow any logical colour coding system!!

have you removed and checked the lighting circuit fuses? its not uncommon to have a bad contact or dodgy fuse even if it looks ok

thanks, for help. I have looked at the wiring diagram in the haynes , and can see no sign of relays , butit is quite a difficult thing to follow. I have re seated all the fuses and relays on the fuseblock, but there are relays behind the dash which I cannot reach. I am reluctant to strip the dash down as it sems a lot of hassle. Any other ideas PLEASE

Sponsored Links
Hi got the same problem found that the connecter to the board in the fuse box had overheated (REDDY BROWN ONE IN THE MIDDLE) took it out cleaned terminals and it worked perfectly for 6months

Back