Estimate for wiring new loft extension..

The only error taylortwocities made was link to the wrong document. Should have linked to L1B instead of L2B.

Apart from that, taylortwocities is pretty much correct in his interpretation of the building regs, and ban all sheds is wrong.

Again.

Sponsored Links
Apart from that, taylortwocities is pretty much correct in his interpretation of the building regs, and ban all sheds is wrong.
Feel free to prove that by showing where it says what you claim in the Building Regulations.

Or apologise.

You'll have to help me out here. Is your statement based on a different view than this from L1 or do you consider BR L1 to be just guidance - or is there some other subtlety ?
After all this time, and so many people making the same mistake, do you really not know the difference between Part L of the Building Regulations (law, which I quoted), and Approved Document L (not law, which you quoted)?

Sponsored Links
I'm confused all to hell. Bas usually quotes things accurately, and is usually useful in pointing out the difference between the law and the Approved Documents.

In this case, though, either my copy of the building regulations is wrong, or Bas has done a selective quote.

PART L CONSERVATION OF FUEL AND POWER
L1 Reasonable provision shall be made for the conservation of fuel and power in buildings by─
(a)
limiting heat gains and losses─
(i)
through thermal elements and other parts of the building fabric; and
(ii)
from pipes, ducts and vessels used for space heating, space cooling and hot water services;
(b)
providing fixed building services which—
(i) are energy efficient;
(ii) have effective controls;
and
(iii) are commissioned by testing and
adjusting as necessary to ensure they use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances; and
(c)
providing to the owner sufficient information about the building, the fixed building services and their maintenance requirements so that the building can be operated in such a manner as to use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances.

seems to have been missing from Bas's version.

Admittedly doesn't go into detail but why was it missed out?

In this case, though, either my copy of the building regulations is wrong, or Bas has done a selective quote.
Neither - I have got the latest version downloaded, but I hadn't updated the link to it, so that was still pointing to the old version, and I didn't notice. :oops: :oops:

seems to have been missing from Bas's version.
Well, no, not really.

The wording has been tweaked, but the requirements are unchanged:

WAS:

(b) providing and commissioning energy efficient fixed building services with effective controls

IS NOW:

(b) providing fixed building services which—
(ii) have effective controls;
and
(iii) are commissioned by testing and
adjusting as necessary to ensure they use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances

So still nothing in the law about having to provide luminaires which can only take high efficiency lamps.

Are you still with us, chapeau?

Thought any more about what you're going to do about your false allegation?

Reading those bits that BAS has just highlighted has got me thinking!!

How can a BC lampholder with a BC energy efficient lamp be classed as an energy efficient building service... you could put any type of lamp in it!!

Where as a PL fitting will only take a PL lamp and can be classed as an energy efficient fitting.

Indeed you could.

But if you don't then you have provided an energy efficient service.

Someone could later negate that by putting in the wrong lamps. They could also set their CH thermostat to 30° and open all the doors and windows, thus negating all sorts of other stuff.

You have to provide energy efficient services, and controls etc, but you can't be held responsible for future misuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back