Loft Extension - What would an electrician do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in the process of building a loft extension and soon i will have to get an electrician in to do the power 'thang'. What i would like to know is what they actually might do.

I want 4/5 double power sockets up there, lighting in the bedroom and lighting/shaver/power shower in the en-suite bathroom.

Would they use the CU under the stairs for all of this and then channel something from the ground floor, up the walls and into the loft or is there something else they do? Cant seem to find this info anywhere. There currently is a light in the loft but that is about it.

I am more concerned with how they are going to get the power up there ie by using the existing CU (I think there is space on it) OR whether they do something else ie putting another CU in the loft space and use the existing light power as the main IN to the the CU.

Anyone know this?

Lee

Sponsored Links
Does that mean they would have to trace it up from where the CU is (under the stairs) right up to the loft? or would they try and 'pull' the cable in the same way the existing cable is in place?

The reason i ask is i have no idea how the cables get from the CU to upstairs. I am sure that they would know how to do this, i am just really curious on how.

There are many ways depending on your house.They may run new circuits they may join onto existing circuits.Without seeing the house,the extention and the needs its hard to say .Talk to your spark before he starts and make sure you understand whats happening so everybodies happy

Sponsored Links
do you have an airing cupboard and hollow floors? ( ie floorboards and not block 'n' beam ) ?

they will most likely run that way as it's the easiest and doesn't disturb the decoration..

Yeah there is an airing cupboard but that now has a combo boiler living in it. I fear this is going to be a bit messy :(

what's a boiler got to do with it, as long as there's room for the cables and they won't be too close to the boiler ( for heat reasons ) then it's not a problem..

do us a photo of the airing cupboard and we'll advise..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back