Eterna Dimmer Uggh !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the bathroom we have a simple pull switch which also triggers the timed extractor fan. The wiring to the extractor fan contained a mislabeled earth wire which I have taped red as I believe it was the switch to the fan. Anyway eveything worked, fan came on with light pull and went off correctly with the timer. There must have been a poor connection in the light pull because when moving it shorted with a bang. I assume the 'Earth' wire came loose which obviously isn't the Earth on this either.

We have a new Eterna dimmer to go in which has IN L and N connections and then LOAD Squiggly line with an arrow through it and N.

Any ideas on how this should be wired up and how I check what the Earth wire actually is ?

Eterna instructions are here:

http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/docs/DIM250_manual.pdf

This is only a temporary process so there is light to tile the bathroom and will be all checked out via a qualified Sparky when it is done.

Sponsored Links
The N terminal on those is just for use if required, the dimmer doesn't need it.
Therefore the connections are just live (IN) and switched live (LOAD).

However if this installation has an earth wire used as a switched live (or any other live) you must NOT use it. The fan / light / switch need to be wired properly.

Your wiring is dangerous and needs replacing. You have no earth to the fan, and the use ot the cable's protective conductor as a live core is dangerous.

Sponsored Links
Your wiring is dangerous and needs replacing. You have no earth to the fan, and the use ot the cable's protective conductor as a live core is dangerous.

You are quite right Steve the wiring is dangerous. Temporarily I have sleeved it warn anyone. The fan however doesn't require an Earth as it double insulated or whatever the correct term is.

With the Earth run as the Switch Live to the fan the fan came on with the light pull and went off via the Timer. Which made think it was the Switch Live.

Will have to get some candles until I can get a sparky out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back