Eterna Globe Shaverlight connection to old circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As this site provided the answer to my plumbing issues I thought I'd see what you chaps could do for an electrical issue I have.

I purchased the Eterna to provide good light and shaver point in a gloomy alcove in a bathroom. Sales speel was that it simply connects to an existing lighting circuit. However, they obviously had modern circuitry in mind.

So what's the deal, could it be fitted to an old circuit? What about earthing it as it says it must be earthed (plastic casing/pull cord operated so really necessary?)?

Wires in attic feeding lights appear to be single sheathed wires.

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If the device specs say it must be earthed then it must be earthed. End of discussion.

If your lighting circuit does not have an earth, then it should be rewired - you can't just introduce a separate earth wire.

I would also wonder if you have any supplementary bonding in the bathroom - something else you should attend to if not.

If the light fitting incorporates an isolated transformer shaver point, then these are usually Class I (earthed).

Sponsored Links
Only way round this is to buy a double insulated fitting, but
i agree with others - if your lighting is in singles without earth, it is living on a prayer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back