European Light Fitting Class 1 Help Please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

The wife bought a fancy metal light for the lounge. From the symbol on the box, it needs to be earthed but there aren't enough terminals in the fitting (I gather they have different wiring protocol in other countries).

There are 3:

1 for neutral, leading to the light fitting neutral wire
1 for switch live, leading to the light fitting live
1 in the centre of the block which goes nowhere. Instructions suggest this is for earth but that's where I need to put the 3 red loop wires

Question is, can I adapt the fitting by adding an earth point? The previous fitting was metal and had an earth lug. Can I salvage the bits off it (it was a lot smaller) Happy to get a pro in if need be but want to know if there's a simple way round it first.

Thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
STOP!!! HALT!!! You are about to do something very dangerous. Get an Electrician immediately.

STOP!!! HALT!!! You are about to do something very dangerous. Get an Electrician immediately.
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif

Instructions suggest this is for earth but that's where I need to put the 3 red loop wires
No - that is where you need to accept that you don't know anywhere near enough to be doing work like this, and that if you persevere you really could kill people.

Instructions suggest this is for earth

The instructions are correct.

Question: do you understand what would happen if you connected the live wires to the light's earth? I.e. what would happen if someone subsequently touched the metal parts of the light? If you do, and now feel a bit foolish for having to ask, then maybe there is hope that you can install this correctly. If you don't, then sorry - you really mistn't do any electrical work and get a professional involved.

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Thanks for the answers. Maybe badly phrased question on my part. What I mean is that I know that the loop live wires need to be somewhere where they are not connected directly to the light fitting wires, hence why the central hole in the block looks like an obvious place.

But yes, I do understand that I don't want to charge up the whole light fitting and make it permanently live, hence the questions.

What I should have asked is:

Faced with this situation (too few terminals) what adaptations are best?

Cheers
Alex

If there is no earth wire, running from the lamp body to the central block, then the central hole is usually connected to a tab on the body of the fitting.

Are you sure it is not - or has it come loose?

I know that the loop live wires need to be somewhere where they are not connected directly to the light fitting wires, hence why the central hole in the block looks like an obvious place.

Why does it look like an "obvious place" when the instructions tell you it is the earth?

Connect your earth wires to the earth terminal.

Yes you need a terminal for the loop wires; it sounds like you need to provide that yourself.

image.jpg
Why does it look like an "obvious place".

On the one hand it looks obvious because all the other fittings I've seen have had 3 terminals in the block but the earth has been located on the body of the fitting.

On the other hand, it's a problem as the centre terminal is for earth, hence my dilemma.

Thanks again for the responses.

@EFL Impudence, yes, there is the tab connecting the central hole to the body.

How do these usually connect and disconnect to the terminal block?

Hi everyone!

The wife bought a fancy metal light for the lounge. From the symbol on the box, it needs to be earthed but there aren't enough terminals in the fitting (I gather they have different wiring protocol in other countries).

That is quite normal in this country L, E and N, it is made for situations where That is the only 3 wires you need , manufacturers occasionally allow for connecting Loop feeds and supply 4 strips, but more for convenience rather than a necessity for the light to work.
The connectors are designed to stay on that metal tab to earth the fitting or at least the 1 connector with your earth wire in needs too.
Basically another connecter is needed.

Ok so get a 4 way connector, adapt the black surround to accommodate.
Thanks chaps.
Might post a photo of what I plan to do when I've got the 4 way connector!

No disrespect, but you seem to be struggling with something so basic, you don't need to adapt anything and you are unlikely to get a 4 way connector.
Do you know someone with a bit more experience to assist you, the connections you have got, have the potential to electrocute you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back