European Light Fitting Class 1 Help Please!

Ok fair enough. I was just trying to visualise how an extra connector goes into that layout. The black surround has side walls so there's no room for extra width unless the 3 way is moved somewhere else and a single connector placed there. Or if the black surround is adapted.

But ok, if it's not simple to add the extra connector without shifting things about too much, I'll get someone in.

Sponsored Links
unless the 3 way is moved somewhere else

NO NO NO. Do you still not get it? The middle terminal of the 3-way block is CONNECTED TO THE METALWORK OF THE LIGHTFITTING by the metal tab. This is what is providing the earth connection. You must leave it where it is.

Get an additional single terminal for the loop wires. There seems to be plenty of space for it.

Yes I do get that the metal tab needs to connect to the metal. What I'm really struggling to see is how I go from 3 connectors to 4.

If you're saying add a single connector and terminate the loop live into that, then it makes sense.

But then I'm gonna ask if wrapping it to the rest of the connectors with insulating tape is sufficient to secure it. Then someone will say that's crazy... So I'm going to leave it there.

I do appreciate the answers. I know you guys earn a living through your expertise that you've trained for. I do know electricity kills etc.

But then I'm gonna ask if wrapping it to the rest of the connectors with insulating tape is sufficient to secure it.

What do you mean, "secure" it? It's between the light fitting and the ceiling. It's not going anywhere.

I know you guys earn a living through your expertise that you've trained for.

I believe many/most of us are just competent DIYers.

Sponsored Links
As long as you keep the stripped parts of the wires inside the terminal block, and the terminal blocks within the metal bulge of the fitting, and the sheath is only stripped back within the fitting (and technically clipped to the joists above the ceiling) you needn't worry about extra protection for the terminals.

NO NO NO. Do you still not get it? The middle terminal of the 3-way block is CONNECTED TO THE METALWORK OF THE LIGHTFITTING by the metal tab. This is what is providing the earth connection. You must leave it where it is.
I know - it beggars belief, doesn't it.

• He can see that that terminal is connected to the body.
  • The instructions tell him to connect the earth to that terminal.
  • Can't see it in the photo, but I'm as sure as I can be that that terminal will be marked as earth.

And yet he thinks that's the obvious place to put the loop conductors and wonders how to earth the light.

I was just trying to visualise how an extra connector goes into that layout.
Buy this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p88321 for 38p.
Cut one of them off and use it to join the loop wires.
Put the other wires into the correct terminals provided with the light.

No tape, no moving of existing connectors, no adapting the light fitting, no adding earth terminals, nothing else at all.
It's not a 'European Light Fitting' either. It's exactly like the majority of light fittings you can buy today.

Or just re use the connecters from the light you took down, surely that had at least 3 connecters plus you said a seperate earth lug

Sometimes you can replace a terminal block of 3 with one of 4, but in this case, the plastic backplate seems to disallow this. Adding a separate block as described is perfectly fine as long as it is enclosed within the "rose".

Just managed to squash it in:

upload_2017-5-17_22-3-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-17_22-2-24.png
    upload_2017-5-17_22-2-24.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 94

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back