EV are they worth it?

Until the damp UK climate gets into the electrics. Have known people with cars where the body and engine were perfect, but numerous electrical gremlins made it uneconomic to keep them on the road. Not just the cost of experts, but actually finding someone who really knows how to fix them made it easier just to scrap them. Not just nowadays, but some time ago. Friend had a Toyota Camry that had endless electrical faults that were too difficult to solve - about 20 years ago.

Cost of some components can write modern cars off too. Friend had an Astra van and the cost of a new fuel pump was ridiculous, and none available anywhere second hand. Brother spent £650 quid for some essential black box on his 2006 Merc recently. He realises the sense in keeping a car of this vintage and quality on the road, but many would have bailed out. He just reasoned that others less wise pay that sort of money for the monthly payment on their Euro $h!t box.
And yet they last longer than cars did in the '70s...

Sponsored Links
Some people are just stupid. I can't think of anything else to say.

:ROFLMAO: Love it! In the first few seconds of that video, he says "...much more realistic perspective on this mad EV..." and immediately, you know you're dealing with someone objective, balanced and open-minded...:rolleyes: You're a real sucker for this kind of clickbait, aren't you?:ROFLMAO:

Any chance that one or two of the sheeple in that queue are bright enough to realise their mistake? I won't hold my breath. This is the future for the poor unfortunate owners of EVs who are forced into ownership by the first owners of these things. They won't have a choice. It was ok for the wealthy, more money than sense first owners of the EVs who probably had a big house with driveway and their own personal charger. Second and third owners who are forced into EV ownership by the first owners adoption of the backwards technology may not have anywhere to charge the things. They will have to queue like the unfortunates in the video.

Sorry, but how do first owners "force" people to buy their EVs? I think you maybe need to sit down and choose which anti-EV argument you want to use? Is it: "EVs have lousy residual values because nobody wants them", or is it "EV owners are forcing people into EVs"? You can't really have it both ways, can you?!:LOL:

Shortage of oil might force people into EVs. Governments might force people into EVs. Environmental concerns might force people into EVs. Economic circumstances might force people into EVs...

But previous owners???

Come off it....!

If they don't want an EV, they can always buy one of those much better-built and infinitely maintainable classic cars you rave about....;)

Sponsored Links
Our governments have split personalities. They want consumption to grow economy/GDP - while at the same time preaching that consumption is bad for the environment. Completely bonkers!

Although both those things are, unfortunately, true!

Definitely this. They're just playing us, selling us fears that only they have the answers to - while all the time hoping we don't notice that they're just trying to manage the decline of The UK.

Do you have a better idea?

Maybe they are just trying what worked previously. The decline of a culture/civilisation can't be stopped. The seeds of destruction is within the culture/civilisation itself. Some culture/civilisations can rise again. Most don't.

If that were even remotely true, as a species, we'd be extinct by now...:rolleyes:

Rather a one-sided 'conversation' today!
I wouldn't bother to discuss with a staunch pro-EV member, certainly one who cannot see two sides to a situation.

And yet they last longer than cars did in the '70s...
The biggest threat to Classics is corrosion & over the decades various factors concerning the build of the vehicle have played it's part. I have owned US built trucks that were churned out by the tens of thousands for WW2 military use & consequently no consideration was ever given to rust protection for a vehicle whose predicted combat life was measured in hours but 70 years later many are still in private hands & in original condition .. the secret(?) quality of the steel used in the construction.
Post-war the quality of steel declined & cars were falling apart after as little as 5 years, until the mid eighties when most manufacturers got to grip with the problem by introducing effective rust-proofing from the factory.

Todays' cars are far less susceptible to corrosion & will last much longer than those produced, say in the 'seventies, but will become uneconomical to repair due to their complexity & can easily become a financial write-off long before they 'wear out' in conventional terms .. also technology is used to design a car with the reliability to last for it's warranty period .. they have become disposable items, just like household white goods.

nb. the classic car industry in the UK is estimated to be worth 7 billion pounds a year.

Yes, I think so. This "managed decline" to which you refer, doesn't have to be that way, but we have to focus on what we're good at, and as a nation, get behind those things. Ever since Brexit, I have started to get the feeling that we are being "played" by powerful interests who would benefit from us being at each other's throats all the time. It's not a new trick. Julius Caesar knew all about "divide and conquer". The UK has done well (better than most countries, in fact) on renewables. We could actually really make something of this and gain energy independence, but for some reason, we'd much rather keep giving it to already obscenely wealthy companies and some deeply unpleasant regimes who don't really like us very much! But of course, that's not really what the Murdoch press wants, is it?

The planet is facing a variety of increasingly serious problems, and instead of getting behind the overwhelming majority of the world's scientists, and actually leading for once, we have too many people who want to bury their heads in the sand, keep paying Big Oil for an increasingly rare substance and claiming that the very people who are trying to wean us off this dependence are "selling us fears". Well, we can certainly agree on one thing - we are being played - or at least some of us are...

Britain will continue to backslide and will continue to tear itself apart, while there are those out there who are too easily manipulated by those who want to maintain the status quo. "Follow the money", as they say. They did it to us with Brexit and they're doing it again now, with the transition to low carbon. We British are an extraordinarily inventive bunch. We gave the world steam. We gave it railways. We gave it a variety of sports, popular the world over. We were pioneering mass production techniques two generations before Henry Ford "invented" it! We could do it again, if we had a few less people dragging us back all the time...

Sorry, but how do first owners "force" people to buy their EVs? I think you maybe need to sit down and choose which anti-EV argument you want to use? Is it: "EVs have lousy residual values because nobody wants them", or is it "EV owners are forcing people into EVs"? You can't really have it both ways, can you?!:LOL:

People will be increasingly forced into EV ownership because of the people who were sold in EV dream and more of them buying new ones. This will lead to less choice for people who want ICE second, third or fourth hand vehicles. Also the people who rush headlong into buying new EVs encourage governments to accelerate bans of ICE vehicles - again reducing choice for buyers of used vehicles who may not want EVs.

Two years ago, Tesla slashed list prices of their cars - at a stroke reducing the value of all Teslas. Not a great vote of confidence in their own products.

I hope this helped with your understanding.

EV tyres are expensive and don't last long.

Just put a new pair of rear tyres on at 17,000 miles. That's 1000 more than the front tyres on my last ICE managed. I didn't think that was too shabby for something with 3x the power, myself. But of course, what's real life experience, compared to a YouTube video from someone with an anti-EV agenda, eh? :rolleyes:

The jury's out on EV tyre durability. A couple of years ago, I'd have said that on balance, EVs did get through tyres a bit quicker, but now that tyre manufacturers have started developing EV-specific tyres, I'm not so sure....

Now there are, of course, studies also showing higher wear rates, and yes, if you spend your time "launching" your EV away from the lights (and I admit, it is quite good fun), you'll be able to waste a pair of tyres on the drive axle pretty quickly, because of the prodigious torque. However, those tend to be the older studies.

Sponsored Links
Back