EV are they worth it?

I have driven to the south of France, and I did have a break on the Ferry, if EV's can be charged on the Ferry or the Train then they would make some sense for long haul runs, one could drive to station/ferry terminal get some sleep on the crossing and then continue, in fact same would be true across the UK for long haul, but at the moment it seems they are considering banning them from passenger carrying ferry's, once the infrastructure it there then they will be viable, but at the moment the infrastructure is at the same stage as when petrol was bought at the chemist.

Sponsored Links
We ought to join some organisation capable of dealing with the problem.

When I can blast across Europe for nearly 700 miles

It's not possible to deal with the problem. The power requirement for rapid charging can never be solved, its a limitation imposed by physics. Without rapid charging, EVs are as good as useless compared to ICE. EVs are a hare brained idea to sell something useless in order to sell you something else after. It's the same hare brained idea to start wars in order to kick start the economy. The harder they try, the worst it gets.

Reading it had we still been in Europe then the A55 across the top of Wales would have fast charging stations every 37 miles, it has not got that many petrol stations, it was the longest road in Europe before we left, it also was numbered E22. But the first person I knew to move to an electric high speed van, not the traditional milk cart was the Milkman, and he got stopped on the E22 (A494) for not making normal progress as he tried to limp home when the van with a claimed range of 140 miles could not complete the milk round of 68 miles, why it did do it most days, but would every so often fail is unknown.

Fast chargers would not have helped, fastest it could use was 7 kW, so likely was not plugged in early enough the day before.

Sponsored Links
so likely was not plugged in early enough the day before.
User error.
No different from the thousands of people who inexplicably run out of petrol every year, including on the motorway.
Stupidity can't be fixed.

Just cruise for 700 miles, quickly squirt some more motion lotion in the tank and off we go for another 700 miles
Unless there is a queue
Or that filling emporium is closed for the day
Or half of the dispensers are out of service for any number of reasons
Or it has no fuel left because the delivery wagon was late
Or it has no fuel because there was some media nonsense about a fuel shortage and everyone rushed there to buy as much as possible

User error.
No different from the thousands of people who inexplicably run out of petrol every year, including on the motorway.
Stupidity can't be fixed.

Unless there is a queue
Or that filling emporium is closed for the day
Or half of the dispensers are out of service for any number of reasons
Or it has no fuel left because the delivery wagon was late
Or it has no fuel because there was some media nonsense about a fuel shortage and everyone rushed there to buy as much as possible
Of course we never have power outages in the UK :unsure:

nb: Yes I remember the last media induced 'fuel shortage' which was accentuated by panic buying & owners caught out by having the minimum
level of fuel in their tank.
Both our cars had between half & three-quarters of a tank when that crap hit the fan .. so we just waited until fuel mysteriously became
available a few days later.

I have driven to the south of France, and I did have a break on the Ferry, if EV's can be charged on the Ferry or the Train then they would make some sense for long haul runs, one could drive to station/ferry terminal get some sleep on the crossing and then continue,
Zero chance of that happening:

a) Charging is when EV's are most likely to catch fire, so transport cos are certainly not going to enable the practice.
b) Impossible cost of retro-fitting vessels with charging infrastructure
Reading it had we still been in Europe then the A55 across the top of Wales would have fast charging stations every 37 miles, it has not got that many petrol stations, it was the longest road in Europe before we left, it also was numbered E22.
It was a route, not a road and the E 40 ( Calais - Kazakhstan ) was 3 000 km longer That apart, were these E route numbers ever used on British road signage ?

When I can blast across Europe for nearly 700 miles without fuel stops in an EV like I can do in my 19 year old van, then I'll take EVs seriously. Until then, they're only practical for townies who don't leave their cities.

It's probably the other way round, really. When you can't blast 700 miles across Europe in an ICE any more, you'll take EVs seriously... ;)

No it wasn't done in one go. :rolleyes:

It meant 700 miles of no range anxiety. It meant almost 700 miles before I needed to start thinking about replenishing a readily available fuel source at service stations dotted along Europe's motorways at regular intervals. It meant not having to worry about having charge points that had people queueing for them. It meant not turning up to refuel and finding broken charge points. It meant not turning up to refuel and find incompatible charge points. It meant not turning up to refuel and finding I needed to download yet another app first on my non-existant smart phone. It meant not having mess around with apps, cables, chargers, etc, etc in the freezing dead of night. It meant not having to sit around for an hour in the freezing dead of night. It meant not having to grapple with charger instructions that may not be in English in the freezing dead of night in a foreign land. It meant the confidence of going for 700 miles day and night without any refuelling worries.

Just cruise for 700 miles, quickly squirt some more motion lotion in the tank and off we go for another 700 miles. :cool:

When it comes to "readily available", electricity has petrol and diesel knocked into a cocked hat! Very few buildings don't have electricity in them! Imagine having to drive to a special place to put fuel into your car...;)

Of course, as JohnD says, the EU is getting it's sh1t together and sorting out its EV recharging infrastructure along major routes at regular intervals. I guess it's a bit like our world-beating vaccine rollout in the pandemic. We get off to a brilliant start, and then the EU just quietly cruised past us and left us trailing behind. The irony, is that it'll be the same grumpy luddites who held us back in the first place, crying into their beer about how this country has gone down the pan...:rolleyes:

Of course, nobody has ever turned up at a petrol station and found a broken charge point have they...?

Broken ICE charger.jpg

And on the plus side, at least when an ICE driver does find an "incompatible charge point", recovery organisations are well-practiced in the art of draining his incompatible fuel out and disposing of it, in exchange for money, what with it happening so often...:ROFLMAO:

It may have passed you by, but part of the EU's route-charger rollout, will be a legal requirement for all chargers to accept contactless. We've followed suit in fact, and we now have a law about it in this country, at least for fast chargers, so you won't have to worry about "apps".

Ah... I remember freezing my bits off in the dead of night, on a windswept forecourt, having to stand there like a lemon, holding a diesel pump trigger... In fact, it's windy and rainy toning, while I'm refueling. The only real difference is that I'm warm and dry indoors, because it turns out, you don't have to stand next to an EV, holding the cable while it refuels!:giggle:

Petrol does not spontaneously combust. For a female owner, I would blame the garage for doing stuff causing it catch fire.

Funny enough, that Tesla fire that you just linked to, I think the owners are doing exactly that - blaming the garage that had recently worked on it, for doing stuff that caused it to catch fire...;)

Of course we never have power outages in the UK :unsure:

nb: Yes I remember the last media induced 'fuel shortage' which was accentuated by panic buying & owners caught out by having the minimum
level of fuel in their tank.
Both our cars had between half & three-quarters of a tank when that crap hit the fan .. so we just waited until fuel mysteriously became
available a few days later.

If we have a power outage right now, my EV has about 3/4 of a tank of "fuel" in it too...

The main difference, is that with the next generations of EV I'll be able to power my home from my car, if I choose, during the power cut.

Sponsored Links
Back