Excessive Gas Usage. Help and Advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need some advice about my heating problem. We bought a 1970's detached house (5 bedrooms) last year and the first thing it needed was a new boiler. We fitted a Gloworm Ultracom 30Cxi as well as a timer unit and room stat set to 20 degrees. There are a total of 15 radiators on the system, which all but 2 being operated by TRV's set to positon 3. We have tried to have the heating on a timer, we have also tried to run it constant on a low output from the boiler. The net result is that I am averaging, and continue to average 13,000 kwh per quarter on my gas usage. This has seen me pay circa £3600 for the last 12 months for gas.

Things to note:
Ground floor is suspended wood beams, with a total of 22 air bricks venting the underneath of house. flooring is very cold as a result.
We don't have all 15 rads on, it is closer to 10. All radiators are Type 21 and quite old but warm.
The previous owner had gas hob, 2 gas fires and gas tumble dryer. we have removed all pipework for this, but never had the gas pressure to the boiler changed.
There are lots of Hardwood double glazed windows (with wooden blinds fitted where possible), which I've been told by a neigbour were fitted in the 1980's. Some are rotting, but would I lose that much heat this way?

Our previous property was newer, but of similar size and our consumption was 1/3 of this and we had the heating on all the time.
I have sat here and monitored for the last hour the heating and we have consumed 1m3 of gas. Currently since I first looked on Monday, we have used 18m3 of gas. I have used 3 times the average of the houses in the area for gas consumption in last quarter

The house is currently freezing as I try to work out the issue. There were draughts which I have sealed. I had British Gas out who said I had enough loft insulation and that my walls were cavity insulated. On the latter the guy pointed to some holes in the walls about 2 metres up and said it is. I have drilled 4 holes through the wall to put in pipework and know found any insulation.

I realise I have a problem but I don't have a solution but lots of theories...
Could the gas meter be wrongly calibrated?
Could the boiler be 'running rich' with the removal of the other appliances?
Is it really cavity wall insulated?
Should I seal some of the airbricks?
Do I need to change the glazing
Should i accept its just a cold house?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Our previous property was newer, but of similar size and our consumption was 1/3 of this and we had the heating on all the time.

I have used 3 times the average of the houses in the area for gas consumption in last quarter

Could the gas meter be wrongly calibrated?

1. Check your bill is showing the correct conversion of the meter units used to kWh.

If the formula used contains the number 2.83, it means that your supplier thinks you have a meter which measures in 100's of cubic feet, not cubic meters.

Formula was:
units
x Calorific value 39.5
x volume correction 1.0226400
/ metric conversion 3.6
= kWh

1103 x 39.5 x 1.0226400 / 3.6 = 12398 kwh for last quarter

Gas usage seems about right , I would imagine your being charged 9 pence per kw for the first 2600 kw used and 5 pence per kw thereafter?

2,600 kw @ 9 pence = £234.
9,798 kw @ 5 pence = £490.

Quarterly bill would be around £724 , although we have had a mild winter so far!

Check cylinder thermostat temperature is set lower than boiler thermostat temperature.
With undersized radiators gas usage will be high.

Sponsored Links
No standing charges?

I thought that there were no more of those tariffs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back