Exercise .. the age old question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok. I weigh 13st exactly and eat x amouint of calories.. I have not gained or lost weight in the last 2 years. It therfore figures that the amount of calories i injest is close to the amount of calories i burn.
However if i now go for a 20 minute run 3 times a week but dont change my diet surely i should lose weight?... or will my body just become more effient and waste less calories ie absorb more fat from the food i eat rather than 'expel' it! :mad:

also if i start to lose weight.. surely the amount of energy required to move me around in my daily capacity will be less.. therefore i will need less calories to burn to move and therefore i should gain weight again as i will use less calories than i injest....

can you see where i am going with this...the more i exercise the less i weigh the less i should eat!!!..

ok i understand that as i burn fat i'll gain muscle which weighs more but with 20 minute low intensity runs i shouldnt gain much in the way of weight...

argh.. why do i feel like i'm 'running in circles'

Sponsored Links
dabaldie said:
ok. I weigh 13st exactly and eat x amouint of calories..

Cuz someone nailed one trainer to the floor :idea:

Sponsored Links
who said anything about me being fat.. now i'm paranoid! (and fat) :eek:

No. You can't lose weight just by diet alone. I've been having this argument with Mrs Secure for 7.5 years (as long as we've been hitched!). She's won - you have to exercise and control your food intake together - you caanot lose weight effectively by one or the other.

securespark said:
No. You can't lose weight just by diet alone.

I beg to differ. If you were to reduce your calorific intake by 75%, all other things being equal you would lose weight pretty damn quick. If you were to go on a diet consisting of one lettuce leaf a day you would lose it even quicker, even if you never get out of bed.

dabaldie said:
ok. I weigh 13st exactly and eat x amouint of calories.. I have not gained or lost weight in the last 2 years. It therfore figures that the amount of calories i injest is close to the amount of calories i burn.
However if i now go for a 20 minute run 3 times a week but dont change my diet surely i should lose weight?... or will my body just become more effient and waste less calories ie absorb more fat from the food i eat rather than 'expel' it! :mad:

also if i start to lose weight.. surely the amount of energy required to move me around in my daily capacity will be less.. therefore i will need less calories to burn to move and therefore i should gain weight again as i will use less calories than i injest....

can you see where i am going with this...the more i exercise the less i weigh the less i should eat!!!..

ok i understand that as i burn fat i'll gain muscle which weighs more but with 20 minute low intensity runs i shouldnt gain much in the way of weight...

I think you would lose weight. Another aspect that you didn't mention is that as your muscles develop through running, they will use more calories generally, including when resting, than they do now.

hermes said:
securespark said:

I beg to differ. If you were to reduce your calorific intake by 75%, all other things being equal you would lose weight pretty damn quick. If you were to go on a diet consisting of one lettuce leaf a day you would lose it even quicker, even if you never get out of bed.
Unless everyone is made difference, I've lost weight on 800 calories a day :eek: and that's without any exercise. I do know some people cannot lose weight whatever they do or diets they go on. The best diet I've been on is the Cholesterol Diet which is mainly jacket potato, low in fat and high in fibre & drink plenty of water!

I have also noticed since I'm teetotal, I don't put on weight now :D

Intake of fewer calories will (usually) result in weight loss, exercise will tone and shape the body.

gcol said:
why'd you go teetotal masona?
The day my son got badly beaten up on 31st July '05 and I had a few drinks at home, couldn't stand up to see him in A&E hospital, never again, I felt I let him down. I've been trying to cut it down for a while but couldn't do it and the only way was, all or nothing and saw what it did to Georgie Best, I was nowhere near his drinking units but you would never know where it would all end! This gave me the push I needed. I don't miss it at all now, I hate the drink now! My wife still drink.
I wasn't an alcoholic as I only did drink in the evening but when I added up the units I was shock :eek: It started off with 2 glasses of wine then got to used to it, then bottle of wine a night, then come the vodka/diet coke, where was it going to end even though I felt okay but maybe over the limit for driving in the morning. My company now have ransom breathalyser test before you entered, so I can feel proud walking in without any worry.

My wallet a lot lighter though :D ;)

I think if people where more honest with their drink units limit they would be shock :eek:

securespark said:
No. You can't lose weight just by diet alone. I've been having this argument with Mrs Secure for 7.5 years (as long as we've been hitched!). She's won - you have to exercise and control your food intake together - you caanot lose weight effectively by one or the other.

Tell the someone from Chad that, and if they could get up, they might just belt you one!!

hermes said:
securespark said:

I agree hermes, as I am proof, I never excercise, (too tired after working all day), but I can lose 3-4 lbs from Monday to friday, just by eating salads fruit and veg etc, mind you I am on my feet all day at work, but I never excercise, let alone run.

BTW Debaldi, you didnt say how tall you were, but most women, me included, like a man with a bit of meat on them :D , and 13 stone sounds bloody good to me. ;)

And Gcol, I feel very secure in myself , Fit adonises have never appealed to me, there is nothing wrong with a bit of flab on a man,my Oh has his fair share of flab :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back