Exhausts and MOTs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My MOT is due in the next few weeks and a while back the brackets holding on my exhaust rusted through and dropped off. At the time, I 'fixed' it using some metal bar and it holds the exhaust where it should be and i thought this would be fine but recently one of my neighbours said his car had failed its MOT because the exhaust brackets had almost rusted through. Does anyone know the requirements of the exhaust for it to pass the MOT? Will my improvised 'fix' get the car through the MOT or will it need to be fixed properly or the exhaust replaced to pass?

I just want to take the car knowing its right rather than failing its MOT and having to take it back for a re-test, so would rather get it welded or the exhaust replaced now if its going to need doing?

Sponsored Links
The exhaust system will fail the MOT if:
Part of the system is missing or excessively deteriorated
A mounting is missing or damaged so that it does not support the system
There is a major leak
The system is excessively noisy.
All quotes from the testers bible!
I would think yours would be ok, but you may get an 'advisory' with the certificate.
John :)

put it though, see what happens, its free re-test for stuff like that anyway (at least it is at my test station)

I gave up trying to guess what it would fail on, especially on older cars, if they dont find anything obvious, they seem to look harder.

Thought mine would fail this year on a drop link (just started to knock on large bumps), it didnt, for the sake of £6 changed it anyway before the rattle got too much.

Sponsored Links
Put a 53 plate K12 Micra in for an MOT yesterday...got an advisory because of a tiny ring of rust inside the petrol filler cap :rolleyes:
John :)

Back