Existing bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bungalow was rewired prior to me moving in 2 years ago. There is a split load single RCD CU fitted, with everything except lighting on the RCD.
On reading all the comments in this forum I note that bonding of metal sinks, taps etc is not now required. I have checked and all mine are bonded. The question is: Should the bonds be removed?

Sponsored Links
There isn't a requirement to bond kitchen sinks. Some consider it bad to puropsely bond a large piece of metal in a kitchen as if you were to receive a shock whilst in contact with said item the shock would be worse than if it wasn't bonded.
On the other side of the coin the sink will probably have connection to the pipework through the taps anyway.

Chances are the lighting circuit has the light in your bathroom on it ,therefor no RCD and therfor supplymentary bonding is still required in the bathroom.
Kitchen wise most councils state bonding the sink to the pipework is a requirement even under the 17th as part of their building reg requirements,strange i know but the company i contract for do.

Sponsored Links
Never heard of supp bonding of kitchen sinks being a requirement the building regs either. :confused:

Are you reffering to the taps in your kitchen or your bathroom?

Both, every thing metallic is bonded.

Thanks for all the replies, it appears that it is OK to leave the bonding in place, as lights in kitchen & bathroom are not currently RCD protected. (due to be done)

Never heard of supp bonding of kitchen sinks being a requirement the building regs either. [/code]

You ever come to work in Stockport Council and you will Spark.
They require us to bond kitchen sinks to hot and cold and hot and cold in bathrooms regardless as to whether the installation is up to 17th.

You are mixing the two together - a bathroom and a kitchen not the same thing!
A bathroom is a special location and the regulations require extra precautions to be implemented such as supplementary bonding unless certain criteria are met. This is owing to people being more susceptable to fatal electric shock owing to them being wet and naked.
A kitchen isn't a special location and the regulations don't require any additional requirements to those used throughout the normal areas of a house.

No Spark i understand the special location requirements of bonding in bathrooms but for some reason Stockport council state we must bond kitchen sinks to the pipe work.
Some councils have some of their own requirements that must be adhered to .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back