Existing staircase - need to conform to Buliding regs 2010.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am hoping someone can help me here. I have several staircases in a non domestic building which do not conform to the 2010 Building Regs. These were build long time before 2010 (not a historic building) Do we need to change all the stairs to conform or can they be left as they are and any new ones we fit will have to conform? I could not find anything in the regs or online.
Any advice will be appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
if this is a building open to the public then other regulations may come into effect ??

Sponsored Links
If someone injures themselves on the stairs, then the onus will be on you to prove that they are safe. This is independent of building regulations, but the regulations are used as standard to demonstrate safety.

So whilst stairs only need to comply with the building regualtions in force at the time they were built, they need to comply with contemporary standards for safety. Handrails and visible tread nosings come to mind.

Thanks for that. What about Regularisation?
As above, regulations aren't applied retrospectively. Regularisation won't add anything. Your responsibility is to make them safe to use so why not just do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back