Expansion Foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used expansion foam to fill some holes on the outside wall of my house. (Some plumbers left the holes).

The foam has become yellow, and on the side of the tin, there is a note that says that the foam is not UV resistant. What does this mean?

I will eventualy cover the foam with mortar, but in the meantime there is surely no problems that could arise?

Sponsored Links
If it just means that it discolours and turns yellow, then this shouldn't affect its strength?

Sponsored Links
Rhbeen said:
If it just means that it discolours and turns yellow, then this shouldn't affect its strength?

no.

though this type of product should not be your last line of defence from the elements. it a quick fix product that needs facing off when used in exposed external situations.

it looks bl**dy ugly too.

it gets crumbly as well from exposure to sunlight.

If you aren't going to mortar over it you can paint it.

It would only get crumbly at the surface??? If you dig deeper, then the foam is ok underneath?

it crumbles as far as the sunlight reaches.

JohnD said:
it crumbles as far as the sunlight reaches.
and @ the speed of light :eek: E=Mc2.....where E=expanded foam and Mc=Minging cowboys :LOL: .......Next Question

Rhbeen said:
I will eventualy cover the foam with mortar, but in the meantime there is surely no problems that could arise?

Eventually? Not a big job, you could do this in an evening/morning. Pick away any flaky, discoloured foam, take it back at least an inch and render over the rest, job done.
If you've never done this before get a bag of readymixed for a few quid from Wickes/B&Q.

Oh, and a small trowel ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back