Explain 12v transformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Providing you keep within the maximum power rating can you connect as many fittings as you like to a transformer or does it depend on how many terminals it has. I.e. can I connect a terminal block to enable me to connect more lights. It's just that a lot of transformers say "3 pairs output terminals"

Sponsored Links
scottmeister71 said:
Providing you keep within the maximum power rating can you connect as many fittings as you like to a transformer or does it depend on how many terminals it has. I.e. can I connect a terminal block to enable me to connect more lights. It's just that a lot of transformers say "3 pairs output terminals"

providing the transformer isnt overloaded, you can connect as many lights as you want, but note that the closer to the power rating you get, the hotter the tranny will become

andrew2022 said:
scottmeister71 said:

providing the transformer isnt overloaded, you can connect as many lights as you want, but not that the closer to the power rating you get, the hotter the tranny will become

Thanks Andrew but did you mean "not" or "note"? I'm not being funny, just checking.

think he meant to type but not that the close to the power rating you get, the hotter the tranny will become

(extra r, on the word close)

also you have to consider voltage drop, yes you can connect as many what ever you like, but if for the sake of argument, the transformer was rated at 100w, you wouldnt want to put 200 x 0.5 w lamps on a cable that is a mile long, the volt drop would be too much (unless you increased the cable size)

Sponsored Links
So if it's a transformer with 3 terminals and I have 4 lights, can I wire 2 lights into one of the terminals, providing I'm still within the overall rating?

not literally

most transformers you refer to have 2 x 3 terminals, so so long as you put 2 wires in one teminal and 2 wires in the other set of 3 yes (bearing in mind 2 lights = 4 wires)

breezer said:

Thanks for your help, as always!

Until now I've always struggled because a lot of transformers say 3 terminals and I need 4 lights, although within rating limit, so I'm a happy guy now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back