Extending a Hep2o water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to extend a cold water supply under a caravan and I can see that the easiest way to do it will be by removing a 15mm elbow and replacing it with a tee. I've only ever used copper pipe but these fittings are all Hep2o with screw on caps so here's the question:

Can I just unscrew the two caps from the elbow, pull the pipes out and fit them into the tee? The Hepworth tech info isn't very clear on this. Once the tee is in, I think I can fit copper into the third hole.

I have to get bits in advance and know that they'll work because the caravan is 30 miles from the nearest plumbers' merchant! Any advice will be much appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do this ,but it would be better to cut off or remove all the old part of the fittings and install the new tee,this way you will be sure that there are no problems,make sure you put in the inserts too

If the existing ones are screw on fittings, just do it as you suggested. Make sure you use inserts in all new ends, and make sure the pipes are fully inserted into each fitting.

I used this for years, and the only two failures I had were with incorrect insertion.

Thanks for the quick replies. :D :D :D

Cutting back the ends to fit into the new tee isn't really an option - I'd have to replace both of the original pipes - so it's a great relief to find that I can swap bits around.

The only other viable alternative would be to cut into a straight section and insert the tee. That's not an easy job in the confined space underneath a caravan but it will be my plan B so I'll take some inserts as well. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sponsored Links
You will be absolutely fine just unscrewing the caps and screwing the tee onto the existing caps. Make sure no washers or bits fall out when unscrewing.

Make sure you use an insert on new hep pipe going into the tee, loosen cap, push in hard, screw cap tight, bob's your uncle.

The other thing to watch, is to make sure the copper pipe is clipped square going into the tee or it will put the fittings under strain which can cause them to leak.

John506 said:
Make sure no washers or bits fall out when unscrewing.

Good point - because S*d's law says that any dropped part will go down a rabbit hole! :mad: :mad: :mad:

sooey said:
make sure the copper pipe is clipped square going into the tee

Point noted. I'll use a wheel cutter and de-burr carefully. Thanks again everybody. :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back