extending a lead on a fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well not extending but replacing a section.

This is a metal fridge in a bar. It has failed its earth continuity on a PAT Test with a reading of .26 ohms.

The cable also shows signs of repair (Taped up lead)

The correct thing to do is replace the entire lead, however the fridge is built in and will cause a lot of disruption to remove.

I was thinking of repairing the cable and protecting with a choc box, but have a feeling that this is not allowed, what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Something like this?
BG458.JPG

Yeah, thats the sort of thing.

I think what I am thinking of is that you are not allowed to extend a lead on an appliance??

Thanks for reply

Sponsored Links
Indeed, I was a bit confused, I had a nagging voice in the back of my head about appliance leads, and what you could and could not do.,

So...I think I am right in saying that you can repair, but not extend.

If you are really worried use one of these and with RCD protection there is really no problem with long cables until you reach volt drop problems.

However I would not use on as too easy not to notice when they trip. I would just use solder and resin shrink sleeve. If resin type not available then a little silicon sealant.

But if not good at solder nothing wrong with joint boxes.

Cheers,

Are they not manufactures guidelines to follow, regarding lead length ?

and thanks for that in line connector, I think a cable connector will be fine, I'm not That worried :)

Why not shorten the lead & plug it into an extension.
I think cable lengths are limited, in the same way in which you cant have an outlet socket with a certain distance of a bathroom.
THe idea being you cant put your fridge/washing machine etc in the bathroom.

What's wrong with an earth continuity reading of 0.26Ω on a PAT test :confused:

That is almost the exact reading I'd expect for a 2 meter cable with a 1.5mm² CSA earth.

That is almost the exact reading I'd expect for a 2 meter cable with a 1.5mm² CSA earth.

using the resistivity formula would you not get 0.022 ohms ?

the pat test limit is 0.1 ohm

( 2 x 0.0183 ) ÷ 1.5 = 0.024 ohms at 20°C

Some may say 0.0183 is about 6 or 7% greater than reality ...

-p-

using the resistivity formula would you not get 0.022 ohms ?

the pat test limit is 0.1 ohm

According to Table VII.1 of the IEE CoP, 2m of 1.5mm² cable gives 26.6 mΩ = 0.0266 Ω nominal resistance (R).

The pass limit is (0.1 + R) Ω, = 0.1266 Ω (see IEE CoP page 74)

So that would be a fail, then...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back