Extending a Radial Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've added an extra 6 double sockets in my kitchen which has extended the 2.5 mm radial circuit cable run by about 8 metres. Now I'm not sure if I have exceeded the legal requirement in terms of total cable length or Sq metre area.

First question - is there an easy way to assess this.

Somebody has since told me that I could have taken a spur off the radial circuit, connected in to a fused spur box, and then hung the six new sockets off this.

Second question - would this have been a better approach and how does this affect the total cable length measurement.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
What would you say the overall lenght is....

Personally I wouldn't of installed a radial within the kitchen, as this is the place where most of the gadgets are used...

I'm not absolutely sure about the new length but I think it's probably around 30 metres.

I didn't feel particularly happy about this being a Radial circuit either, but as it was already there I wanted to take the easiest option.

easiest option would be to add anoter cable of the same size and run it back to the same circuit in the cu. its safer too

Sponsored Links
On Site Guide, Appendix 8, table 8A:

Radial circuit, 4 sq mm cable, 32A MCB, 75 sq m floor area.
Radial circuit, 2.5 sq mm cable, 20A MCB, 50 sq mm floor area.

If your kitchen is bigger than 10m x 5m (or 7m x 7m) you would have a problem... I somehow doubt that this is the case. If you had a kitchen that big you'd probably be using an architect and it would be all his fault.

Remember the protective device is there to protect the circuit cable. If you overload the circuit the MCB will trip - that's just doing its job. It's up to you if you try to run a toaster, a breadmaker, a kettle, an espresso machine and a 'Lean, Mean, Reduced Fat Grilling Machine' all at the same time! It wouldn't be dangerous... just a nuisance.

Thanks for the info.

The kitchen is only about 5m x 3m but unfortunately the cable run goes off to about 4 more sockets in the lounge area, so I'm not sure how this impacts the floor area. Do you happen to know if there is a limitation on the total cable length allowed.

( I'm working away this week so I can't even have a look at it )

Dingbat - 50 square millimetres?????????!!!!!!!!!!

Poster - no, no limit on length, just floor area

As Dingbat says (or meant to say - ooops!) 2.5 mm2 radial circuit can cover no more than 50 m2 on a 20A MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back