Extending Cat5/Cat6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer wants me to extend a Cat cable from one side of the door frame to the other. It will be used to power a door entry system. I have no idea if it will be an electromagnetic lock (for the front door) or just audio or audio and video.

The extension will buried in a stud wall.

Can I fit a RJ45 and use a coupler?

And, if she wants a video handset, is it likely to need an additional power supply from the mains ring or will the Cat cable be sufficient?

Tnx

Sponsored Links
Don't know about the power supply question but there is no reason you couldn't use a coupler but there will be a 3 dB loss through it. I don't think it will make much, if any, difference for what you want to do.

Depends on what she is fitting and wants to do ….the cat 5 MAY NOT be suitable…

I think a coupler will work.

But I wouldn't bury it in the wall.
Fit a 35mm deep box where the joint is and put a blanking plate over the top so will be accessible in the future

Sponsored Links
I think a coupler will work.

But I wouldn't bury it in the wall.
Fit a 35mm deep box where the joint is and put a blanking plate over the top so will be accessible in the future

I don't think she will want a blanking plate. I will make a note of where the join is.

You don't need a coupler. You can buy a Cat6 extension cable that has a socket on one end. More reliable and takes less space.

Choose the length you need.

Thanks for the link.

The existing cable has no plug on the end. It just comes out of the wall.

Sorry, photos would have been useful.

I have only fitted a couple of door entry intercoms over the the years. None required RJ45s on the exit point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back