Extension cable outside in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an outside plug socket. I also have some low voltage garden lights which runs off a transformer which plugs into the prior mentioned socket. I am thinking about buying one of these weather proof boxes and permanently housing the transformer in the weatherbox. In this weatherbox would be the transformer and a short extension lead which connects to the socket.

Given, that the extension lead would be outside in all weathers, would I need some special cable. Would I have to buy the component parts and 'make up' and extension?

I would also like to somehow make these lights remote control, so I don't have to go out and turn the lights on / off (just lazy :LOL: ).
I was thinking of putting one of these in the weatherproof box http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bye-Standby-Starter-Kit/dp/B000Q2NO7S

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
If you buy an extension lead with arctic flex (usually yellow or blue) then this will be fairly weather resistant, it is designed for outdoor use and to stay flexible even at low temperatures. If you don't already have RCD protection on the socket you intend to use for the supply then make sure you fit one to the extension, failing that you can use a plug-in RCD adaptor but there's always the chance someone will unplug it.

It's still not an ideal solution for a permanent supply IMO , there's no mechanical protection to stop somebody sticking a spade through the supply cable. If you really must use an extension lead and weatherbox then at least make sure the cable is laid or clipped well out of harms way.

you could secure the box adjacent to the socket there by having a short extension lead which should be out of harms way.

A better idea would be to hav e the transformer indoors.

drill a hole through the wall and pass the light cable through this.

no remote controled sockets or weather proof box required.

still have use of external socket

you could secure the box adjacent to the socket there by having a short extension lead which should be out of harms way.

A better idea would be to hav e the transformer indoors.

drill a hole through the wall and pass the light cable through this.

no remote controled sockets or weather proof box required.

still have use of external socket

Thanks guys for both suggestions. The above is not possible as the garden lights are about 25 feet from the house and the lights are connected to the transformer with 2 x 2 pin connectors. I would also have to dig up my patio to lay the cable. The idea of mounting the weatherbox adjacent to the socket is feasible as the socket is on a small wall, although ideally was hoping to hide the weatherbox behind something!

Sponsored Links
TLC, for example supply extension leads in arctic flex like these, but only with industrial plugs on.

If you want to use 13 amp square pin plugs and sockets, it looks like you may have to make up your own lead (unless anyone else knows differently). In that case make sure you don't use 2.5mm flex (which you won't need) but 1.5mm. I tried making an extension lead with some 2.5mm recently, and very nearly gave up the struggle ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back