Extension cable to telephone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
hi. I want to attach an extension to an existing telephone wall socket. At one end I have the wall socket with green & white in socket 5, White & green in socket 3, orange and White in socket 2. I would like to attach the extension cable which, as you should see, is white & orange and green & white. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the current telephone socket working as it should? If so you just need to connect the terminals like for like. By this I mean that terminal 5 in the current socket is connected via your new wire to terminal 5 in the extension, 3 to 3 and 2 to 2.

Your comment about the colours in the extension cable (only two present). I believe you need at least three wires for the additional extension to work. If you strip the outer insulation back are there any additional wires inside?

There is a good guide here: http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

Two wires will do for modern phones on an extension
Terminals 2&,5 in the master socket are the ones.
Hopefully your extension and the new extension socket are numbered the same, but if necessary trial and error from the existing socket will not take too long

Is that actually orange/white in no. 2? Looks more like white/orange. (First color is "main" color, second is bands.)

Either way, the existing wiring is certainly not following the standard coding, which is:

2 - Blue/white
3 - Orange/white
4 - White/orange
5 - White/blue

White/orange (4) is not normally used, and as mentioned already, many newer devices do not use the orange/white (3).

As for numbering, there are some sockets on the market which have 1 - 6 numbered in reverse, due to a monumental blunder in the original numbering scheme and misunderstanding on the part of the manufacturer of the jack. However, if you are using devices which don't need the ringer wire (3), then 2 & 5 will just be swapped with reversed numbering anyway, and almost no newer devices are polarity sensitive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, toddlers and work have delayed me getting to this but I'll have a look soon. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back