problem with non standard colours on extension cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install a telephone cable and socket.
I bought a ready made cable and cut off the end to put a socket on the end.
The instructions on the socket give instructions for the standard combinations blue/white, orange/white etc etc

The problem i have is that my extension cable has the colours orange yellow blue and black. Any ideas how this should match up ?

Please help :(

Sponsored Links
if the cable is flat, and 4 core then usually the ones on the outer edge will be 2 and 5, but you will need to use a meter.

Id say the easist thing is to get a spare socket (or the cover from your nte5) and plug in your lead to the disconnected socket. Meter from 2 on the back to each colour in turn and indentify, 2,3 and 5

Alternatively you could connect your cable directly into the back of the extension face plate in the master socket. Undo the two screws & remove the half panel. Connect wires to position 2,3 & 5. Normal cenvention is:
2 - blue/white
3 - orange/white
5 - white/blue.
...but as long as you do it the same at both ends it dosn't matter about the colours.
2 & 5 carry the line voltage, 3 is the ringer current which make the extension phone ring. All the others are unused.

Connect these wires to the same positions in the new socket & bobs your uncle. You may need an insertion tool (haha) or Kroning tool to do this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

I have managed to sort it all out.

I was not as confusing i originally thought - even though they try to make it confusing using strange colour cables !!

The outer edge cable was number 2 and 5.
The central cables 3 and 4 i figured by their position in relation to cables 2 and 5. ie. the one next to cable 2 is cable 3.

Nightmare over ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back