Extension guide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a large outdoor area which I am hoping to extend into. However, I'm not sure where to even begin when it comes to an extension nor am I sure about costs. I am looking to add a bedroom, a bathroom, a utility room and possibly a garage. I'd appreciate some advice from past experience on how much this may cost, what are the best ways for me to cut the cost and how long it would take to get this finished. Also, a step bystep guide for building extensions would be great!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh, is that all? :rolleyes:

Search on here for a start. Costs will be dependant on what you are building, and how big, so will completion times

Your're talking about cutting costs now, and you don't even know what the costs are. That's the wrong frame of mind.

You will need a designer to visit and advise. Part of your brief to them should be design economically and with a budget in mind.

Step 1 - employ architect
Step 2 - get estimates of costs and timescales from builders/plumbers/electricians etc
Step 3 - decode whether you can afford it
Step 4 - apply for planning permission
Step 5 - hope you get permission/appeal against denial of permission/lose will to live trying to get permission/alter original plans to increase likelihood of getting permission
Step 6 - employ your chosen tradesmen
Step 7 - wait for everything to be finished
Step 8 - pay everybody (you might also need to give them some money part way through the job)
Step 9 - enjoy your new extension

another point
look at the plot the house stands on and decide what you think is the house area without additions
take that area and lets assume its a 200 square"m "
and the plot is 250 sqm then you can build on 25sqm without needing planning as half the free garden area
so assuming the garage shed and greenhouse use up 11sqm you have 14 to build on without permission as half the garden area available since 1947 or as new if sooner

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd appreciate some advice from past experience on how much this may cost, what are the best ways for me to cut the cost and how long it would take to get this finished

What's feasible/practical/sensible/affordable varies on a case by case basis. You can ask an architect (or a good builder), to assess the site and do this thinking for you, based on your family needs now, in to the future, and the needs of the local resale market.

If you want to be more hands-on and do some of the thinking yourself, then at the very least you need an accurate plan of the plot that includes the existing house room layouts at ground and 1st floor level, position of existing drains/utilities, then post it on here and people will be willing to chew over some options with you.

Is your house in a street of similar houses, many of which have had similar extensions? If so, then contacting one of them for a builder recommendation is a good start too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back