Extension or Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps.
I live in a bungalow and am thinking of building an extension or conservatory on the back approx 12 ft by 20 ft.
Will I need to involve BCOs?. :eek:
My initial thoughts are lay foundations and brick up to the windows or I may use studding and clad with stirling board and then uvpc cladding. For the roof I was going to use either the proper glass (conservatory stuff ) or fibre glass sheets.
I would appreciate some guidance before I make a start.

Sponsored Links
You can ask bc for their interpretation of the exemption rules for conservatories. To add value to the property, because it looks yjr best, then a brick dwarf wall (with bricks to match the rest of property) below the windows is a must. Cladding looks like a garden shed lean-to.

BAHCO said:
Will I need to involve BCOs?. :eek:
It's best to for a piece of mind and it will stop the neighbour complaining !, generally speaking in most cases you don't need premission for a conservatory, here are some rules below, failing this you will need planning permission. Pop down to your BCO and ask for their free building regs booklet to help you or do a rough drawing and they will tell you there & then what to do. If you're having a extension then building regs will apply such as correct size window for the floor area or conservatory floor area is no more than 30 sq metre etc. Having said this I'm not sure if the rules are the same as in Italy.

See this for more details.

Sponsored Links
Always go to BCO before any mods.

I performed a load of modifications without speaking to BC first of all, because I was fairly sure they wouldn't need permission. Now they have been in place 2 years, I finally got round to checking and they APPEAR to meet all the regs (fire safety seems to be the main point in my case). However I am still going to check with BC just so I don't find out when I am 4 weeks into a sale that the windows need to be 2cm wider (which they don't :D ), and then get sued by a buyer for wasted time and money.

As said by Masona, it is worth checking for peace of mind. You will also be negating "Sod's law", which would rear it's ugly head in any other circumstance.

Worth having a flick through all of the building regs , however if you are in Italy it will be totally different ;) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back